Anyone have hands on experience with Apeks MTX-RC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ActinopterygiiGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Tried to email Apeks earlier looking for some more info about em, anyone here have some hands on experience?

What do you want to know?

Pretty much anything you can tell me, there's so little information about them out there. One thing I was especially wondering about was the work of breathing. The MTX-R apparently has a super high WOB (1.75/J/L, though I haven't been able to confirm that number), more than double the XTX200, for example. I assume the MTX-RC will be significantly lower to be more in line with other products (it does have a Venturi lever and ease of breathing knob so that's a good sign).

I also saw an offhand comment saying the build quality left something to be desired, something about bad materials with very little elaboration so I'm skeptical but if you could clarify I'd appreciate it.

I have not been able to get any specs for the MTX-RC, but I did confirm (twice) the published 1.75 J/L for the MTX-R.
My assumption is that the MTX-RC would perform at or about that level with the cracking effort dialed all the way up, and venturi in the "pre-dive" position. Then any other adjustment would just make it easier. The 1.75 J/L is due to its military use design intent - the need for zero free flow no matter the conditions takes precedence over the breathing effort.

I have not used one, but I do have one on my shelf. I see no issues with the build or materials - perhaps the other criticism is from someone that expects only metal cases on the 2nd stage.

I have not been able to get any specs for the MTX-RC, but I did confirm (twice) the published 1.75 J/L for the MTX-R.
My assumption is that the MTX-RC would perform at or about that level with the cracking effort dialed all the way up, and venturi in the "pre-dive" position. Then any other adjustment would just make it easier. The 1.75 J/L is due to its military use design intent - the need for zero free flow no matter the conditions takes precedence over the breathing effort.

I have not used one, but I do have one on my shelf. I see no issues with the build or materials - perhaps the other criticism is from someone that expects only metal cases on the 2nd stage.

Nice, I appreciate that. A pity there aren't any confirmed numbers for the XTX-RC but it sounds promising, thanks for your input

For anyone reading in the US, I'll add that the XTX Tungsten is being added to the US available item list this year. I don't know when they will ship, but nice to see the PVD finish added to the line-up over here.

I would almost guarantee it's the same specs as an XTX, the design is the same.

As to quality of finish, I've no idea as have not seen one, I would however be surprised if it was bad. The only QC issues I've ever noticed on Apeks regs is sometimes the chroming on the first stages can be a bit rough.

Every PVD one I've seen looks rough as guts after a few dives unless it's been babied. Looks nice out of the box though. YMMV.

I have mtx-rc. It's like improved dst. Breathes easier, turret is better and 5th Port is standard. Can't really say anything bad about it. Looks cooler too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom