Anyone have Olympus PEN E PL-1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

video joe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am seriously looking at the Olympus PEN E PL-1 with underwater kit at Backscatter. The entire kit includes 2 Sola 1200's, u/w housing, the PEN, a 14 - 42 standard lens plus the wide angle 9 - 18 wide angle lens. It is four thirds system that initially sounds like a con but the more I look into it the better it sounds. The same great 720p HD quality but just a smaller package. And when you add up the money it blows away another comparable deal.

I got my EPL-1 and Olympus housing in April and I have loved it. I use my Inon D2000 strobe.

I really don't have anything bad to say about it -- except perhaps that the zoom knob could be easier to use with dry gloves -- but since I don't use it much, it isn't a significant problem.

I'm soon to get another one in the anticipation of the dreaded flood.

I just ordered a setup from Backscatter. EPL-1, Inon D2000, and a Sola 600. Haven't got it yet. Seem like a nice setup. The kit doesn't come with the wide angle. And doesn't come with 2 sola. Are you just adding all of that?

Package Includes:

•Olympus E-PL1 PEN Camera
•Olympus PT-EP01 PEN Housing
•Olympus 14-42 lens Zoom Gear
•Sea & Sea YS-01 Strobe
•Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Sync Cord L-Type
•Ultralight Simple Arm and Tray

I bought one a few months ago and am very happy with it

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! I am looking at a package that includes two Sola's "a 1200 and an 600" as well as the 9mm Wide Angle in addition. It's gonna kill me to wait another second but now you have me thinking about the PL-2. I said my Ikelite sea anchor with the Sony DRC PD 170 was history but now I'll need to drag the 40 lbs of baggage to the Carribean again???? Damn it!!!

Joe,
The main issue with the PL-1 is that its kit lens is garbage for video as it is way too slow in autofocus. The PL-2 has a new kit lens that is marketed as optimized for both photo and vid. Your choice of the 9-18 lens is a good one, but it is recommended to replace the OEM flat port with the ZEN dome port that is designed for the 9-18. See attached vid, that uses the 9-18 with a zen dome. This glass delivers! Ignore the lousy white balance, it can always be corrected in post.
YouTube - Diving the RSB1

Does anyone know if one can pick up a new EPL-1 WITH the new lens? Otherwise, I'm thinking of picking up a 2nd body and then the new lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom