Anyone have the pictures from the Molokini tiger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knockneed Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have the pictures and story of the tiger shark at Molokini that was eating the manta that was caught in the mooring line? I tried to search for it but couldnt find it. Thanks!

If you are referring to the incident from early this year, Andy of Mike Severns has several minutes of video including lots of closeups of the Tiger. Brad of B&B was also there, but I don't know if he had a camera or not. I don't think either posted anything on the web.

I know that staff for both Mike Severns and Makena Coast Dive Charters got video and photos. Maybe try contacting them directly.

WOW!!! Awesome photos! I remember hearing about it around the time it happened. Those are the first photos I've seen.

Circle of life with a human assist.... Rough!

That particular mooring line is exceptionally long -- IIRC it's in ~110' of water.

In the Molokini MLCD, the DLNR has restricted the size of the balls that can be attached -- a larger ball may have kept the line vertical so that the manta would have basically "bounced" off of it when doing its roll, rather than getting all tied up. Instead, the ball kept just enough tension to allow it to get tangled.

Pauline Fiene measured the manta -- IIRC it was ~12' wingspan. She said it was indeed alive even after the first few bites.

Another observation was the "nips" from the white-tips versus the "gouges" from the tiger.

Back
Top Bottom