Anyone help with diving Tobago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyking12

New
Reaction score
Just 3 weeks away from our trip to Tobago. Can't wait! My daughter and and I have just recently completed our ow certification and are therefore newbies. I have researched a lot on the dive sites, but could I get a few personal opinions about sites appropriate for new divers? We want to be safe but challenged and would really like to try the drift diving, but is there drift diving for new divers? We will be staying in Charlotteville and Scarborough. Does anyone have any suggestions about Dive Operators, safe with good rental equipment. Maybe someone low key who will give lots of personal attention. I have heard that Sublime (Barry St. George) is good. Any opinions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Roger

I dived with Underwater TObago based at Coco Reef Hotel. Did my AOW there. On the drift dive there was a guy who had just certified - it was quite mild and he coped ok. The guy had certified with that operator so there will be sites close by there for new divers

I would suggest heading up to Speyside. The diving is the best on the island. Yes, there is a current, but manageable. There is a dive site called "Japanese Gardens" that is wonderful as well as many others. Have a great trip.

Jason

Speyside

Went to Tobago before Christmas; Speyside is beautiful and the dive sites I went to were BlackJack Hole and Kelleston Drain. I was able to see puffer fish, an 8 ft black tip reef shark, tons of fish, and a spotted moral eel. I went with "Big Dougie" from the Frontier Dive Shop in Crown Point. Have a fantastic time on a great island!

Dee

flyking12:
Just 3 weeks away from our trip to Tobago. Can't wait! My daughter and and I have just recently completed our ow certification and are therefore newbies. I have researched a lot on the dive sites, but could I get a few personal opinions about sites appropriate for new divers? We want to be safe but challenged and would really like to try the drift diving, but is there drift diving for new divers

Depending upon how old your daughter is- and how comfortable you are in the water, I would suggest that you stay near the airport and dive one of the ops near Pigeon Point.

I have never dived Scarborough. I do know that the Ocean puts on quite a show there with fierce waves and posted warnings. Maybe they have easy diving- but most "hondo" divers go to Speyside/Charlottesville, so that's where I've been.

But you're going to Speyside... which is the rough equivelant of getting out of driver's education in High School and driving a BMW on the Autobahn.

My SO & dive buddy wanted to dive the Galapagos, so she began by getting her certification at CoCoView where she logged 75 simple bathtub dives in three weeks. We went to Tobago next so she could experience small boats, back rolls, drift diving protocol, surface recovery techniques, re-boarding methods (including taking off her BC and handing it up). She learned to inflate her safety sausage from a depth of 25' and hung on an attached cord at 17' doing a safety stop while waiting for the pickup of the dive boat. Very few people even have their safety sausage rigged with appropriate line- they don't come that way.

Many ops near Speyside/Charlottesville require a thrash thru the surf to get to the boats. Some ops have piers: The dive op at Blue Waters Inn and I believe one other. All have access to drift diving and real challenges. Will a dive op take you to an easy breezy dive? Maybe once at the beginning of the week, but then the other guests will want the wild currents that Tobago is really known for. You will be sucked along--- ready or not. This is what dive accidents are made of.

Maybe the best thing you could do is pick a small operator such as RedMan and explain your experience and concerns to hime with great care. Hire his son as DM (not all that expensive and well worth the safety factor) to watch over you and your daughter. In that they are small, if they have few other divers, they can do a double drop- Leon takes you toi someplace survivable, and RedMan can handle the other clients. Maybe smaller is better.

Other posters have mentioned Japaneese Gardens. Add to the list sites called Washing Machine and African Express. This list would be titled: I MUST NOT GO HERE.

I was diving AfEx with the editor of the PADI UK magazine. We actualy clocked the current at 4.5 mph. This was like diving in a grade 6 whitewater rapid. We were tumbling thru the slot, there was so much air in the water we didn't float. Are you ready for down currents that can suck you down 60' below in a matter of seconds? Who is? This can be twitchy.

Until you are prepared both in terms of training and previsualization (and knowing what that means to avert panic while diving) to cope with surface rescue techniques--- stay with simpler things. This is not a jolly ride on the warm blue Caribbean- this has resulted (for some unlucky few) in a prolonged surface float of over 24 hours. I'm not saying it's going to happen- but can you say you're ready for it if it does? You may handle your own problems- are you ready to assist a child?

Hate to come off negative on this, I believe that Tobago is in the top 5 dive destinations in the Caribbean- but it simply isn't for the inexperienced.

Gulp! I have obviously done a lot of reading on the diving around Tobago, but it is always helpful to hear from others who have unbiased experience with the sites. Because I am diving with my 15 year old daughter and we are both newbies, I will be seeking smaller operations that will ensure safe sites. I have read about Japanese Gardens and it sounds like a beautiful, novice type dive. Is it? We will try to find an op who is not too busy. It sounds like they are fairly quiet at the moment, but of course this can change day to day. I know Manfridaydiving lists a number of novice dive sites, but they are temporarily out of business. Does Redman run a safe op? I have read a little about him in the threads, but I'm not sure of his attention to detail. I have sent him two emails but he has not replied. This isn't that unusual for Tobago because they have continual internet problems. Thanks for any other advice you can give, including operator recommendations.

Roger

flyking12:
GulpI will be seeking smaller operations that will ensure safe sites. I have read about Japanese Gardens and it sounds like a beautiful, novice type dive. Is it? We will try to find an op who is not too busy. It sounds like they are fairly quiet at the moment, but of course this can change day to day. I know Manfridaydiving lists a number of novice dive sites, but they are temporarily out of business. Does Redman run a safe op? I have read a little about him in the threads, but I'm not sure of his attention to detail. I have sent him two emails but he has not replied. This isn't that unusual for Tobago because they have continual internet problems. Thanks for any other advice you can give, including operator recommendations.

Roger

You hit it all on the head- if they're not busy- and if you explain your situation- you will get what you need. Don't be afraid to hire your own DM.

Re-read my post in re Japaneese Garden. There is a swim through (I think I have the right dive) that, altho not advanced- is certainly not in your grasp yet.

Man Friday has been "spotty" since the owner disappeared (1992?) in the current on a dive that he was leading. The most precise dive op is BWI, but it continues to show signs of age in its customer service.

If you can get RedMan all to yourself or maybe two others- by all means- he may look like bailing wire and twine (as a matter of fact- he is), but no more concientous DM could you ask for.

As in each and every situation- it is absolutely up to you to make the information connection between you and your DM expressing your abilities and concerns.

Do some reading in advance on surface recovery, surface signalling- and with every dive op, ask for and expect advance notice as to how things work.

I live RedMan- after not too many dives under her belt- I handed my SO over to him with no fear. He da man. (without internet service--- just show up)

read my trip report at http://www.turq.com/trips/trinidad5.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom