Anyone know about Loves Park Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Good morning all (well, it's early morning for me)

Tomorrow I go to talk to Captain Dan Johnson and crew about taking lessons at Loves Park Scuba (Northern IL area)- I've been trying to read up on them, but at best I've found some mixed reviews from people that don't appear to be people who partake in diving all that often if at all.... I wanted to post here and see if anyone had any thoughts or experiences with them as teachers/divers? :idk:

Also, if I've posted this in the wrong forum, please let me know!!!

As always, thanks for your time and insight!

PS - I read the questions to ask teachers - great list! I never would have thought to ask most of that stuff!

This post would probably get you a better audience in the Great Lakes Forum.

Looking at Loves Park SCUBA Website at Welcome to Loves Park Scuba , it appears as they have all the toys, including a pool on premises. Not a big deal for you, but it is easy to see that they have made an established commitment and have the funds to pull this off. Make of that what you will. You may be able to test-dive new gear before you buy... ask.

Another shop is nearby, Forest City Scuba and that would be worth your checking out, as well.

While diving in Egypt I once happened to meet an owner of one of these two shops and found him to be quite a nice guy. On the internet, you can always find different opinions, even of their personalities.

...but at best I've found some mixed reviews from people that don't appear to be people who partake in diving all that often if at all....

You are quite correct, most such internet postings made in reference to initial training experiences are made by "new kids". You will look back upon your certification experience and someday likely realize how poorly based your perceptions then were.

...PS - I read the questions to ask teachers - great list! I never would have thought to ask most of that stuff!...

But even more importantly~ gauge the demeanor and care of their responses. If you have scheduled an appointment to discuss this, this would mean to me that they are going to give you 98% of their attention (they might be running a light store-staff that day, give them a break to some extent), and they will calmly explain the answers to all of your questions.

Either way, you are lucky to be near "Pearl Lake", the common site for open water portions of your classes. You can't swing a dead cat up there without hitting a freelance instructor.

Back
Top Bottom