Anyone know anything about Mauritius diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jakarta, Indonesia & Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just read an NY Times article about an island called Maritus that is a bit east of Madagascar. Anyone know anything about diving there? The article called it "world class" but I cannot find much about it.

Thanks in advance.

I have a great friend called Gerald Rambert who works at: Sundivers Ltd, on the west side of Mauritius. You can contact him for info at: info@geraldrambert.com

He has published a book on the diving of Mauritius, so if anyone can give you advice, he can.

Faces of the Sea
Stay in Style - Dive in Style

Mauritius diving is quite popular with french divers or from the divers coming the "sister" Reunion island (part of the Mascareignes group).

Not been scuba diving but snorkeling, though I have many of my Reunion diver buddies who spend their holidays in Mauritius, it's not World class diving but pleasant and somehow deep diving (30-50m) for the best spots.

Their recommendation is either Hugues Vitry who's known for taming the moray eels at bluewater Blue Water Diving Center or Feroz at dive dream Dive Dream Diving Center in Mauritius .. sorry it's mostly french language. :wink:

We have been to Mauritius 3 times, the last being in May this year and have logged more than 60 dives there . We dived on the west coast off Flic and Flac first and then moved onto the north coast at Grand Baie. This was way better diving and we returned there for our next dives. There is also diving off the East and a little in the South. We have, however, met up with groups that came from their resorts there to dive in the North dspite a car trip of more than an hour.

Diving starts at about MR1200 (Mauritian Rupees) about Euro30 with own kit. We have negotiated to about Euro25 for 20 dives a trip. 5 star resorts will however smoke you if you are not careful! We dive with an independant operator (not resort linked) Wojtec Diving in Grand Baie. Wojtec is a Pole who speaks French but little English but his staff comunicate very adequately in English. We like his dive style, until you're out of air or bottom time, whichever comes last :D. He mostly does two tank dives to minimise travel time leaving you with some time for other pursuits. There are, however, many dive operators in the area. Be a little careful as we have been told of operators who arbitrarily restrict bottom time but we have not personally experienced it.

As to the diving I would not rate it as world class mainly due to rather poor coral. This seems to be caused by the hard volcanic rock not providing good purchase, damage from the occasional cyclone, polution from sugar cane farming and historical damage. There are now protected areas where anchoring and fishing is prohibited and coral seems to be improving though my experience is too limited for an educated opinion.

The viz tends to be very good always in excess of 20m and mostly more than 30m. Fish life is good to great and there are many different morays, if thats your thing. The dive operators are not very clued up in showing macro items but if you ask they have a good idea where to find things. There are many shallow dives to choose from but deeper dives often offer stupendous topography and walls.

A group will also be able to set their preferences such as to the farther islands of Coin de Mire and Islot Gabriel, further daily dives and night dives.

We have found the operators very willing to please.

There is good snorkeling around the island with the best in Blue Bay in the South East.

Accommodation ranges from 5 star resorts to self catering flats. Car hire is readily available but take a small car as roads are narrow and vehicles stop at any time to drop of passengers. Taxis are plentiful and cheap and drivers have always spoken good English. Weather is best from September to May as more rain falls thereafter but we have found it warm and of little consequence. Cyclone season is summer, December to March but is not an annual occurrence Please note this paragraph is from memory so please check

We went to the island earlier this year and loved it, we stayed in the south.
I only had 2 dives as the full moon made it impossible to exit the reef and in the lagoon the viz went.
I am returning with my husband in October - mid moon - and will be staying at Belle Mare Plage. From what I read the diving is better there but the resort is charging about £53.00 per dive. That is double what I normally pay.
I am new to diving so am not sure what to do. Any recommendations or should I stay with the resort.

I dove on the west coast, and the south. Shandrani on the south has nice all-inclusive 5 star accomodation packages that include unlimited diving (including equipment rental...)
Due to the topography (volcanic island) the dives are either too shallow to warrant scuba (3-5m) or can get deep quite quickly (easy to exceed 30m), so take your own computer even if you are planning on using their equipment (bring your own mask, snorkel and fins. In summer a wetsuit is optional...). The water temp was 27 deg C at 30 m, which is very easy on air consumption. Currents and surge were non-existent on my dives, but I agree with there being lots of coral damage. Fish life is abundant, however.

Am planning to go to Mauritius, Grand Baie early next year, Feb. 2011. I hope to have a total of 6-Dives. May I ask, what would be the best 6 dive sites? Also, do the operators do double tank dives? I prefer this so the rest of the day is free. Any suggestions on hotel & dive operators? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom