Anyone know this species of fire worm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
New species for me. Saw it crawling out of the sand off of Destin, Fl. Oddly, was the middle of the day.

worm601.JPG

red tipped fireworm

Thanks Sully...does not appear to be known in the northern gulf, but sure is common in south florida and beyond.

your picture is better than the one I have in my book, looks like a scalloped fireworm. distribution in book does not agree so maybe not. Actually the book says they do not know the distribution. but looks exactly the same.

scalloped was my other thought, but I said red tipped b/c the colors in my book don't look anything like that and it doesn't say anything about color variation.
Sail Naked is probably right though due to shape. The red tipped is usually thicker

I'm going with Matt's first guess here. I think this is a Red-Tipped Fireworm. The scalloped has a much more uniform color. this red-tipped is much more banded. The scalloped has a dark line running down it's back, this one has the pair of white spots that the red-tipped has. As for thickness I think it's just not displaying it's bristles in this pic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom