Anyone know what these guys are????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveBF

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Took this picture on Long Key Ledge off Marathon. Have no idea what they are... any idea?
PICT0007.jpgThis one of my very first underwater photos so sorry about the image quality.

Cheers!
Steve

What they said^. Lucky it didn't want to become your new bestest buddy. Did you have a look around while messing with them? They often like to check out divers after they have been attached to Mr. Grey suit.

Remoras, they have flat heads w/rows of suckers to attach themselves to the underside of large predators....They eat bits and pieces of left-overs from those predators.......Some times you'll see the Manta Rays in Mexico, w/two/three albino Remoras attached..........They'll try to attach themselves to divers sometimes......very annoying ;O !!!!!

I though they hung out with sharks... didn't see any though

I have seen remoras on turtles, rays, and had one attached to my leg once

I though they hung out with sharks... didn't see any though
They'll attach themselves to any large 'predator', in the hopes of getting 'free' scraps, but they do swim free too....They just prefer a 'free-ride'.......They do not prefer sharks as a 'host' 'cause sharks will eat them if given a chance !!!....You'll see them more on rays, whale/basking sharks...They can't tolerate deep dives so the only time you'll see them on a whale is when they're in shallower water.....They'll detach at a certain depth........They've evolved to the point that they're not very good swimmers and if you're quick you can catch them w/your hands....But it's better to have pity on them and just watch 'em......

I have seen remoras on turtles, rays, and had one attached to my leg once
I've always been curious, does it hurt? Is it uncomfortable? Can you simply brush it off or do they suck down as tenaciously as they are in their attempts to get to you in the first place? I've never had one attach itself to me but I have had some making an insufferable nuisance of themselves.

I've always been curious, does it hurt? Is it uncomfortable? Can you simply brush it off or do they suck down as tenaciously as they are in their attempts to get to you in the first place? I've never had one attach itself to me but I have had some making an insufferable nuisance of themselves.

I was wearing a wetsuit at the time, and I was barely aware of its presence until somebody point it out. It did not stay long attached to me and momentarily attached itself to several other divers in the group, perhaps neoprene was not to comfortable for it.

Back
Top Bottom