Anyone Out There That Has Had A Collapsed Lung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am very interested in becoming a diver, but my lung collapsed about 3 years ago. I went to the doctor and they said that would not sign the release form for my to get my certification, because their is a chance it could happen again. Im only 21 years old, im fairly fit, I don't think I should miss out on this experience. Is there anyone out there who has had their lung collapse and still dives?

Thank you,

Kyle

Is your doctor a diver? YOu might want to go to a doctor who works with DAN-Divers Alert Network and get their opinion.

Hemlon:
What caused your lung to "collapse" initially?

They said it was becuase I was tall, or from the horrible air where I live. I found the search button and I found out I cannot dive. This really sucks.

six_string_superman:
They said it was becuase I was tall, or from the horrible air where I live. I found the search button and I found out I cannot dive. This really sucks.

Don't jump to that conclusion until you have been evaluated by a doctor familiar with diving.

I had a punctured lung and a chest tube at twelve. (car accident)

and again in a jumping accident eight years ago. Fractured ribs, pleural effusion, etc

I dive.....I don't volunteer the info on my questionaire

but I don't have any residual problems. I would talk to a physician, pulmonary medicine.

six_string_superman:

Six_string.

Call DAN (Divers alert network)

I was severly crushed in a car wreck and the entire left side of my body was CRUSED!!

Pelvic bone in four pieces, left arm
left leg, cut uretha, all left ribs,And most of all to you question Left lung!!!

I dive and have been cleared many times as I have advanced up the chain.

You can dive after a pneumothorax!! I just finished diving today !!

I had a collapsed lung from (of all things) too much jazz trumpet :) (A 15 year old trying to be Maynard Fergueson and hit ALL the high notes!)

Talked to my Dr, he said is was from "an injury", completely healed and very unlikely to cause problems. But he was a diver and interested in dive medicine.

Get a good second opinion. It really matters what caused the collapse and how likely it is to recur, and what permanent damage (if any).

There's a difference between a collapsed lung due to injury and a spontaneous collapsed lung. For the former, diving may be acceptable at some point, but not for the latter.

"...tall, or from the horrible air..." sounds like the spontaneous variety to me, but of course, I'm a programmer, not a doctor.

I would not sign a release for anyone who've had a spontaneous pneumothorax. They cannot be predicted and may very well be fatal if they happen during SCUBA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom