anyone post on this yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought there was but that must've been on another forum. I did just read in the paper that Mesa recently had a town meeting about it. There's some opposition from folks that live across the street from the existing property - which is now a golf course I believe.

Official website:
http://www.waveyard.com/

I've been laughing since reading about the scuba lagoon. What do you thing the city leaders def. of a "scuba party" was? LOL I didn't see anything about the size of the lagoon, did anyone else? I think for what they want to put into it, it would have to be big wouldn't it? Just think of how you currenly feel when going to the lake and seeing 2 or 3 dive flags in the water at or around the spot you want to dive. We see that an think, "wow there is are a lot of people there," so you look for a different spot.

Who's going to donate money? Not me....

http://yesonwaveyard.com/donate/index.php

Not that I'm against the idea but the last thing I'm going to do is give money so some private company gets the votes to be able develop it. I seriously doubt that they'll give your donation back when they're raking in the millions they project to earn.

OK, looked at it a little.

I love that it is bordered by a water treatment plant on 3 sides. But didn't mention that it is a waste water treatment plant.

The part about accepting donations raises some alarming bells. If they need help with donations now how do they expect to build this? More donations? Also noticed that the supporters are the ones looking to get there hands on the tax dollars they expect to get in.

I am also wondering what there "scuba experience" is. While the artwork shows a grand tropical theme, I am willing to bet the reality is nothing more then a pool behind the scuba shack to throw people in. Not a lagoon but a simple backyard swimming pool type of thing.

Ignor the flash, read between the lines.
But even with all that, unless I hear of something bad I still consider it a good thing. Let them build it. Set my standards low so they will not be dashed when they are not met.

Justin talked with the person that is building the scuba lagoon...they hope to get part of the lagoon to deeper than 60ft. That sounds a little nicer than a back yard swimming pool...but we will have to wait and see...

It's a fairly ambitious project. If it's done right it could be a draw to the East Valley. The powerpoint presentation given to the Mesa City Counsel can be found at the link below.

http://cityofmesa.org/citymgt/mesa-now/issues/pdf/5-31studypowerpoint.pdf

No question that it's a sweet deal for the developer--it's not every day that you can pick up 121 acres of prime commercial land for $10 million out of pocket--the "incentives" will rebate or credit the developer the $20 million that the City is carrying on a note (at a whopping 4.4% interest rate).

I have my own concerns about the viability and marketability of the project, but it isn't my money on the line. I think Mesa is desperate to get traffic back to the city, so it's willing to give up a golf course for a shot at a high end resort.

Back
Top Bottom