Anyone seen this before? Found in caribbean off panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a left hand holding a broken jar.

Unquestionably a unique hand. What is that dark circular spot at 5 o'clock on the jar bottom? Does it say "Artefacto Precolombino Autentico"? I thought my Pabst beer bottle was a real find, but this takes things to another level.

Looks like it was thrown on a wheel. Is the roundness about perfect?

Alright enough lurking, finally something I can possibly help with.

Pretty neat foot the ceramic has. Yall above are correct it looks perfectly round.

Some questions though, can you see any temper? Grit, sand, other ceramics etc? Size of the temper?

Also from the picture it appears as though there is a slip applied to the piece (based on the orangeness of the temper opposed to the more crime colored outside). Is it painted? It is hard to tell what is exposure and what is actually part of the original ceramic from this photograph.

Based on some of these diagnostic attributes we can probably greatly narrow down what this piece is.

Its thickness is also indicative of what it could possibly be. About how many mm's thick is it?

Also, upon second glance, your second photograph, there is a large white blob in the temper. Is that from exposure or is it a shell?

Last edited:
Alright enough lurking, finally something I can possibly help with.

Pretty neat foot the ceramic has. Yall above are correct it looks perfectly round.

Some questions though, can you see any temper? Grit, sand, other ceramics etc? Size of the temper?

Also from the picture it appears as though there is a slip applied to the piece (based on the orangeness of the temper opposed to the more crime colored outside). Is it painted? It is hard to tell what is exposure and what is actually part of the original ceramic from this photograph.

Based on some of these diagnostic attributes we can probably greatly narrow down what this piece is.

Its thickness is also indicative of what it could possibly be. About how many mm's thick is it?

Also, upon second glance, your second photograph, there is a large white blob in the temper. Is that from exposure or is it a shell?

the base is perfectly round. 7" diameter base. There is a glaze with circular lines and the glaze looks like it is factured into many pieces. the thickness of bowl is 1/4". no paint that i can tell. the blob is coral. this piece was pretty covered in coral. I removed much of the coral. what does it being round mean? what is size of temper mean? the surface is slick to the feel and the non glazed areas are gritty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom