Anyone seen this????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon C

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took some pictures at one of our local aqariums with my D70S last night. I was contending with 9" thick glass and the "no-flash" rule. Anyway, many shots look fine when viewing with the LCD, but a couple had weird, blinking areas in the brightest spots on of the shot. Almost as if the LCD was overloaded or a cheesy Star Trek space/time vortex or black hole ripped the fabric of space and set up shop on my LCD:11: . I have not booted them up on my laptop yet (got in late, now at work), so I don't know if the issue carries over to the computer.

Has anyone had this issue with their rig? Does anyone know what causes it?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Jon

Your d70 has different features that you can have on your image in the LCD. That is the overexposed or highly exposed areas blinking. It can be turned off with your toggle switch. Another option is to have the histogram show over the top of your image in the LCD. I use the histogram overlay on every dive.

Dave

What lense were you using at the aquarium? I might go down to the San Diego aquarium this holiday and try out my D80.

All I own right now is the 18-135 and the 60 micro. Perhaps Santa Claus will bring me something else interesting.

David

Thanks for your responses....It sounds like you don't believe this effect will show up on the laptop...I like that. We'll see tonight.

As far as the lens, I went light and only took my 18-70 that came with the kit and it seemed perfect for the majority of critters. You still have to contend with glare.

The big unknown is the distortion due to the thickness of the acrylic of the tank. The employee mentioned that it was set up in such a way that it elminated distortion...I don't know, it looked distorted if you looked left or right a few feet so try to get perpendicular with your lens if you can.

I accidently had the flash go off at the seahorse exhibit and caught ***** from my co-workers. One of them just popped his head in my office and gave me another ration. I felt bad without the piling on!!!

By the way, I am also waiting on a second DS 51 and arm set I ordered for Christmas for myself. That should be here by Friday.

Thanks,

Jon

And, as DBH said, you can turn it off on your LCD. The highlights display is just one of several picture review options.

David

The highlights feature can come in handy, especially when shooting underwater. It gives you instant feedback as to whether your exposure might be too much.

Jon C:
Thanks for your responses....It sounds like you don't believe this effect will show up on the laptop...I like that. We'll see tonight.

It won't show up, but don't dismiss it. It's telling you that those areas of the picture were overexposed. Similarly, flashing black means underexposed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom