Anyone stayed at Utopia Dive Village, Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby, Maybe I can help you out. It all depends on what you are looking for BESIDES diving. You mentioned:

Utopia: It is on the south shore and town is NOT accessible except by boat and it can be a bit of a ride depending on the seas. Really nice place but is somewhat remote.
Laguna Beach: Again, this resort is only assessible by boat but it is much closer to town. Again, a really nice place and I personally know the Dive Operations Manager and she is the best!!
Deep Blue: The office is on the main street but again, their resort is on the south shore kind of between Laguna Beach and Eutopia but closer to Laguna Beach.

If you can tell me more what you are looking for I can make more suggestions and comments. There are many, many dive operators here; if you are looking to further your education then some may be better, if just looking for cheap diving, well then there are others for that. Just let me know.

R

Hi

Just to let you know, Deep Blue Resort office is not in town, It is at the resort, we have 2 businesses a resort and a dive shop in town, the 2 are not connected except for being owned by the same person, the Deep Blue Resort office is at the resort.

Thanks for the info. Here's the basics: My wife and I are essentially novice divers - about 25 each. We like the peace and quiet and are not much for the partying - though a trip or two into town I do enjoy. This trip would be about diving - specifically whale sharks. I guess I'm asking for suggestions for a good dive shop (not too concerned about price) and a resort that's safe and clean. I've been considering renting a house that would allow for the dive boat to pick us up and take us on private dives - or maybe even dives with others. I am kind of on information overload at this point. What part of the island should I be considering?

How much better would you say the odds are to see whale sharks in March versus February? We are from Wisconsin and I generally like to get out of town in Dec/Jan/Feb. I'd make the sacrifice and come in March if you felt our chances were that much better. I've also been reading up about the moon cycles. Does that have more to do with the spawn in the water versus a signal to the whale sharks or is it a bunch of non-sense.

How much better would you say the odds are to see whale sharks in March versus February? We are from Wisconsin and I generally like to get out of town in Dec/Jan/Feb. I'd make the sacrifice and come in March if you felt our chances were that much better. I've also been reading up about the moon cycles. Does that have more to do with the spawn in the water versus a signal to the whale sharks or is it a bunch of non-sense.

Bobby T....

Based on your diving history and preferences.....Deep Blue Resort is your best choice. March and April have historically been the best months for whale sharks, but the are seen all year. I have stayed at and dived with nearly all the operations on Utila. You can't go wrong with deep Blue Resort. Steve, and his mum Shirley have a first class op. Swin has historically been, unarguably, the best boat captain on the island. The crew on their boat are some of the best in the world. The food is excellent and the accomodations are first class. Don't look back......you and your wife will love your experience at Deep Blue Resort. Enjoy!:wink:

Hi Cuda

Thank you for the compliments, yes this year has panned out like previous years, at the moment the whale sharks are here in the last few days we have had some great swims with them, and of course a lot of this is due to Swin, he just seems to be getting better and better at finding them, I think he can smell when whale sharks are in the area LOL

Its about time you and Mrs Cuda were coming back down, hope all is well up there in the USA.

Thanks for all the info. As soon as I can book the flight we'll be booking the rest of the trip - probably in March.

I am going for a week end of April, staying at Utopia. I will post back. We got a great deal, and are very excited!

Back
Top Bottom