Anyone use a Weezle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove an Extreme+ since 2002. Used the old 400g DUI before that (the black one with the stripe running down the arms. You know, the one that restricted movement in the shoulders). Also the black and burgundy job (the one that came out before the big butt one DUI sells now). I do wear some undergarments underneath (fleece vest, runners underwear).

The Weezle does require more gas in the suit than the DUI to get the loft up (not a lot of gas, but more). You can't shrink wrap it. Other than that it's as warm as any DUI I've used. My buddy had one during a complete flood in high 30's water. It worked well enough; as well as any DUI we've had.

I've never had problems venting but I know others that have. It is a cause for concern.

I also have an Extreme but I rarely dive that since most of my dives require more warmth than that.

I can't fit a stock 400g under my CF200, so I asked DUI the same question and got the same answer as you. They can't (won't) modify the circumference of the arms and legs, only the length. That's not to say you couldn't have someone custom tailor it for you, but that's a lot of trouble to go through.

Yah, this is a pain with DUI, the list of things they supposedly "cant" do, despite generally (Exchange rates to Europe not withstanding) being the most expensive.
It's really starting to tick me off to be honest.

I can fit the 400 in my suit, but both it and the 200 seem more bulky than they need to be. Couple that with the fact that I am mysteriously a Medium in the 200 and a Small in the 400 and it's all a bit baffling.

I am not sure if the bulk of the DUI is the key to its warmth, or just a side-effect of them not doing a good job trimming things down.

Yah, this is a pain with DUI, the list of things they supposedly "cant" do, despite generally (Exchange rates to Europe not withstanding) being the most expensive.

I can fit the 400 in my suit, but both it and the 200 seem more bulky than they need to be. Couple that with the fact that I am mysteriously a Medium in the 200 and a Small in the 400 and it's all a bit baffling.

I am not sure if the bulk of the DUI is the key to its warmth, or just a side-effect of them not doing a good job trimming things down.

(hijack)
My plan was to have some local alterations person do some of the "tapering" required to get a less gumby like fit on one of the DUI 400g undergarments. Does anyone have any experience with that type of thing?
(/hijack)

(hijack)
My plan was to have some local alterations person do some of the "tapering" required to get a less gumby like fit on one of the DUI 400g undergarments. Does anyone have any experience with that type of thing?
(/hijack)

I'd be careful how much you taper. It was explained to me by an LDS that carries DUI that the reason they're cut so "gumby" is because they don't stretch at all and the space is needed to maintain adequate range of motion. I haven't personally tried them, but I've heard really good things about the Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate suits. They're stretchy so they're cut much more tapered (and I believe they're also less expensive). If/when I go from fleece to thinsulate, I'll give that suit a hard look. I think AWS has them in stock.

I'd be careful how much you taper. It was explained to me by an LDS that carries DUI that the reason they're cut so "gumby" is because they don't stretch at all and the space is needed to maintain adequate range of motion. I haven't personally tried them, but I've heard really good things about the Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate suits. They're stretchy so they're cut much more tapered (and I believe they're also less expensive). If/when I go from fleece to thinsulate, I'll give that suit a hard look. I think AWS has them in stock.

For tapering the legs, i was thinking of tapering from calf to ankle. Obviously, the ankle bit needs to stay big enough to allow a person to slip a foot through without too much contortion.

I've been down the DC thinsulate road. Not very good at all for trilam suits here in Mocal. Even with the vest, the DC undergarments gave only maybe 80% of the warmth I get from my current 4th element undergarments. And, my limbs were always feeling the cold.

I haven't personally tried them, but I've heard really good things about the Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate suits. They're stretchy so they're cut much more tapered (and I believe they're also less expensive). If/when I go from fleece to thinsulate, I'll give that suit a hard look. I think AWS has them in stock.

I have the TPS Extreme with vest. They are only 200g Thinsulate and aren't warm enough for the OP's area.

Nick, you should remind them of their middle name. Seriously, it's the first thing you see on their website.

banner.jpg

I've heard really good things about the Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate suits. They're stretchy so they're cut much more tapered (and I believe they're also less expensive). If/when I go from fleece to thinsulate, I'll give that suit a hard look. I think AWS has them in stock.

The TPS Thinsulate Extreme feels pretty warm, but it's different in an 80 degree pool than 50 degree ocean. Since you mentioned AWS, Frank doesn't actually like them, he says the quilting is known to break up. I think he recommends the Bare Hi Loft undies. I haven't heard much about those, however.

The TPS Thinsulate Extreme feels pretty warm, but it's different in an 80 degree pool than 50 degree ocean. Since you mentioned AWS, Frank doesn't actually like them, he says the quilting is known to break up. I think he recommends the Bare Hi Loft undies. I haven't heard much about those, however.

Interesting. I hadn't spoken to Frank about them in depth, but I was in there one day and there were several people talking about them favorably. I haven't spent too much time looking into thinsulate though, as I'm comfy in fleece for the dives I'm doing now. I need a new DS soon, so I'll be picking new undies at that time too to make sure the new suit fits them.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom