Anyone used a 20D with Ikelite housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kabluton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are your thoughts on it? I looked at the Subal but I don't have $3500 laying around. Where is the best place to get the Ikelite housing if I go that route?

kabluton:
What are your thoughts on it? I looked at the Subal but I don't have $3500 laying around. Where is the best place to get the Ikelite housing if I go that route?

I just bought a 20D and housed it in an Ikelite housing. Kevreid made a similar acquisiton and might chime in. I like the clear polycarb housing and the ability to see what is going on inside. As a vet at UW photography with Nikonos cameras, but a real rookie at housed SLRs this feature has already saved my behind. I bot the 10-22 efs lense and the 8" dome port which I highly recommend (I own a standard dome port as a backup). Yes the rig is bulky, but it is neutral underwater with twin DS 125 strobes, and I have no problem handling it. I dont think any housed SLR is made for tight spots. I have had some questions and Ike's service has been exceptional. The controls are comfortable and easy to use once you get past the learning curve for the camera and housing assembly. I suggest a lot of pool time before you take the rig into the brine, first without the camera and then with.

I bid the rig several locations but got my best quotes and service from Helix in Chicago. Dennis has been doing their UW stuff for years and I have bot some stuff from him before. If you try out Helix, ask for Dennis the underwater guy.

Hope this helps. You can check out my inagural dive pics at my album - click here.. If you have any questions, hollar.

---Bob

But I chickened out because of the sheer size and went back to my snapshots so my 20D stays dry - damn.

If you plan to get one Ryan at Reef Photo & Video was incredibly helpful and had good prices.

kabluton:

Ryan:
Matt Segal has some feedback about the rig at http://carbonos.com/reports/provo20dtripgear.htm. Feedback on the E-TTL2 conv. circuitry has been excellent.

The Subal housing is an incredibly well made product, and the magnifying viewfinder is special, but with system prices over $5000 and very long delivery lag times, the Ikelite holds its own very well.

Thanks for the link Ryan. And my housing - the g6 is going good but after checking this site out I wanna upgrade badly.

Hi Lukerob,

sorry to steal this post, but can you tell me your opinion of the g6? I'm looking at getting one with the ike housing, or if not possibly a (cheaper) dSLR. Thanks,

Ryan.

ScubaBOBuba:
I just bought a 20D and housed it in an Ikelite housing. Kevreid made a similar acquisiton and might chime in. I like the clear polycarb housing and the ability to see what is going on inside. As a vet at UW photography with Nikonos cameras, but a real rookie at housed SLRs this feature has already saved my behind. I bot the 10-22 efs lense and the 8" dome port which I highly recommend (I own a standard dome port as a backup). Yes the rig is bulky, but it is neutral underwater with twin DS 125 strobes, and I have no problem handling it. I dont think any housed SLR is made for tight spots. I have had some questions and Ike's service has been exceptional. The controls are comfortable and easy to use once you get past the learning curve for the camera and housing assembly. I suggest a lot of pool time before you take the rig into the brine, first without the camera and then with.

I bid the rig several locations but got my best quotes and service from Helix in Chicago. Dennis has been doing their UW stuff for years and I have bot some stuff from him before. If you try out Helix, ask for Dennis the underwater guy.

Hope this helps. You can check out my inagural dive pics at my album - click here.. If you have any questions, hollar.

---Bob

Hi, Thanks for the info too. I recently ordered my Ikelite housing & strobes.
Do you mind telling me where you got uour 10-22 efs lens? I prieviously used housed SLR and am eager to use the Digital underwater. Many people complain about the weight, but it may be a little difficult to hand up after a dive, I love the feel of it UW. I have never used anything else but the slr so this should feel the same? Do you shoot raw?
Thanks,
Valerie

diveprn:
Hi, Thanks for the info too. I recently ordered my Ikelite housing & strobes.
Do you mind telling me where you got uour 10-22 efs lens? I prieviously used housed SLR and am eager to use the Digital underwater. Many people complain about the weight, but it may be a little difficult to hand up after a dive, I love the feel of it UW. I have never used anything else but the slr so this should feel the same? Do you shoot raw?
Thanks,
Valerie

Hi Valerie:

Sorry for the late reply, but I took a week off to dive the keys. I hope to post some pictures this week. I bot my entire rig through Helix in Chicago. Dennis in their UW department helped put together a package with a favorable price. Having shot Nikonos rigs, the housed dSLR seemed very bulky at first. With the 8" dome port it is neutral underwater with twin 125 strobes. The dome causes the rig to torque a bit, but I got used to this quickly and it does not bother me. Getting the rig on and off the boat has not been a problem but it does require the assistance of a dive master or dive buddy on board. Yes, I shoot raw and do my post processing in Photoshop.

Regards

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
Hi Valerie:

Sorry for the late reply, but I took a week off to dive the keys. I hope to post some pictures this week. I bot my entire rig through Helix in Chicago. Dennis in their UW department helped put together a package with a favorable price. Having shot Nikonos rigs, the housed dSLR seemed very bulky at first. With the 8" dome port it is neutral underwater with twin 125 strobes. The dome causes the rig to torque a bit, but I got used to this quickly and it does not bother me. Getting the rig on and off the boat has not been a problem but it does require the assistance of a dive master or dive buddy on board. Yes, I shoot raw and do my post processing in Photoshop.

Regards

---Bob
Thanks Bob,
I'll contact Dennis. My housed SLR torqued a bit too. I only used one strobe out to the side and am anxious to use twin strobes.
Valerie

Back
Top Bottom