Anyone using a Canon GL2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewK2

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,
I'm considering buying a Canon GL2 next year for work and naturally, I'm wondering if anyone here is using it underwater.
In terms of housings, the only option I see is the Gates (which is way out of my range) and the Ikelite.
The only thing I can't figure out is that on Ikelite's site, it doesn't list manual exposure control as being on the housing. Did they simply not list it, or is there really no way to control the iris underwater?
Any other opinions about this camera/housing combo would be great along with any other recommendations for housings.

Thanks

hey AndrewK2 - can't answer you question first hand, but i would highly recommend just giving the good folks at IKELITE a call. they're great folks and will love answering any questions you might have about their fine products. i've had the good fortune to use both the Gates and the Ikelite and have had to contact them directly and both companies have always been fantastic.

thanks - I'll try calling Ikelite tomorrow and see what they say.
Are there better options than the GL2 in the same class/price range that are better for underwater work in terms of housings available? I have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to camcorders in land use (it's my job - I usually use a company owned XL2) but I'm totally new to underwater work, so don't be afraid to use technical terms - I'm not new to video.

sorry andrewK2 - i'm here to offer some more NON help :)

it seems like you got a good handle on the details/specs of camcorders, but for U/W use you want a camera with LOW LUX.... the lower the better. i notice the GL2 has a LUX of 6 (http://www.epinions.com/Canon_GL2_Digital_Camcorder_Camcorders/display_~full_specs) that's not great.... you'll probably want one with 4 or below if possible.

the DCR-TRV900 has a low lux of 4 and if it's in the budget

(drum roll please)

the Sony Handycam DCR-VX2100 Mini DV Digital Camcorder has a low lux of "1"

although the exposure control is a nice added bonus (since it's low light you'll probably have it wide open all the time anyway) the MORE important control that you will want is WHITE BALANCE - hours of green fish and hours of post production trying to get the green out of the fish is not 1/2 as fun as getting the WB right the first time.

You might want to take a look at the Equinox housings. They are fairly reasonably priced, mechanical housings. You can have them customized to have access to any of the controls you want. check out www.dive-equinox.com or you can also check out www.h2ophotopros.com and see pictures of the equinox housings. let me know if you have any questions

Is the TRV-900/950 still in production? I checked Sony's site and I can't find them, but I have seen underwater footage from the TRV-950 and I really liked it. If it still exists in some form, I'd probably go with it.
My main problem with Sony over the past couple of years is their rediculous use of touch screens on their lower level camcorders. In my opinion, this is the stupidest thing they could have done and it really makes using their cameras pain which is why I have stayed away from them in the past.
In terms of the VX-2100, my friend owns a VX-2000 and I have used it a lot. It's only a couple hundred more than the GL2 and is therefore another possibility I have considered.
I know the GL2's low light rating isn't as great as the VX-2100 (probably due to 1/4 inch sensors instead of 1/3), but there are a few advantages to it for me and some like the 20x zoom are needed in my topside work (I shoot video for a summer camp, but most of my underwater stuff will be in the tropics). Also, the people I usually work for let me use an XL2 which I absolutly love and would by in a heartbeat if it wern't for $$$. I would be able to borrow things like batteries from it and save a couple hundred off the Sony ones. Also, again, in my opinion, I have found the Canon cameras to be more user friendly in terms of controls, but this is probably because I'm used to them.
H20PhotoPro, what does the Gates housing listed on your site for the GL2 include (port, etc)? Also, how much would an Equinox housing that included manual exposure control cost?
Thanks for everyone's great suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I was just looking at the housing for the vx-2100 from Ikelite - why did Ikelite give it a manual exposure button/dial and ignore the need on the GL2's housing? Maybe the vx-2100 will be the camera I get, I'm just confused as to who decides which housings get which buttons, makes no sense to me.

edit:
okay, I've spoken to Ikelite about the issue and I understand the issue more now. Having not used the GL2 in some time, I had no idea that the exposure dial had to be pushed in first then pushed up or down to make adjustments. Ikelite said they didn't have a control that would do that.
Now the question is, how did Gates manage to get the exposure working?
I guess I'm now left with 2 options: get the Gates housing and a GL2, or the vx-2100 with the Ikelite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom