Anyone Using Dual YS-60s...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backscatter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
... with a digital point and shoot? If so, what's your setup consist of? How are they integrated with each other and the camera/housing?

I've ordered a close-out YS-60 from Sea & Sea, and plan to use it with my Canon A620 via the HW adapter. I've been using the A620 for the last year or so either with no flash, the on-camera flash, or with a Light Cannon for video. I plan to start out with one strobe and gain experience with it, but I wonder if I shouldn't take advantage of the clearance price and pick up another YS-60. Or is there a good range of strobes from other manufacturers that I could pickup later and integrate into my A620/YS-60 setup when I feel the need?

Just casually looking around, it looks like that the Sea & Sea dual sync adapter will not work with the YS-60, and is expensive anyway (compared to getting another HW adapter). So what are the other options? I know you can get a TTL converter that will accept two sync cables (does not apply to me and my Canon case). I have seen where some have used two HW adapters, would that be the best/most economical route my situation?

I suppose the YS-90 would be an option, using it as a slave, but that would require a larger additional investment over the $270 or so another YS-60 and HW adapter would run. I also am not married to Sea & Sea strobes either, it's just that YS-60 seems like a pretty good deal, and I can definitely see where I might realize the benefits of dual strobes.

I don't want to get anything that I couldn't use as I upgrade cameras, although I don't know how soon, if ever, I will invest in a DSLR setup. When I replace my A620, I will likely go with something like a G9 and an Ikelite case to gain RAW and the ability to use different lens/adapters, along with the other features of a top end point and shoot.

... with a digital point and shoot? If so, what's your setup consist of? How are they integrated with each other and the camera/housing?

I've ordered a close-out YS-60 from Sea & Sea, and plan to use it with my Canon A620 via the HW adapter. I've been using the A620 for the last year or so either with no flash, the on-camera flash, or with a Light Cannon for video. I plan to start out with one strobe and gain experience with it, but I wonder if I shouldn't take advantage of the clearance price and pick up another YS-60. Or is there a good range of strobes from other manufacturers that I could pickup later and integrate into my A620/YS-60 setup when I feel the need?

Just casually looking around, it looks like that the Sea & Sea dual sync adapter will not work with the YS-60, and is expensive anyway (compared to getting another HW adapter). So what are the other options? I know you can get a TTL converter that will accept two sync cables (does not apply to me and my Canon case). I have seen where some have used two HW adapters, would that be the best/most economical route my situation?

I suppose the YS-90 would be an option, using it as a slave, but that would require a larger additional investment over the $270 or so another YS-60 and HW adapter would run. I also am not married to Sea & Sea strobes either, it's just that YS-60 seems like a pretty good deal, and I can definitely see where I might realize the benefits of dual strobes.

I don't want to get anything that I couldn't use as I upgrade cameras, although I don't know how soon, if ever, I will invest in a DSLR setup. When I replace my A620, I will likely go with something like a G9 and an Ikelite case to gain RAW and the ability to use different lens/adapters, along with the other features of a top end point and shoot.

---------------------------------------------------------

Chad,
I am looking at similar. YS-60 on close out, HW adapter and an eye to the future.

You said (might have been on a different thread) the closeout YS-60 came with a "basic" arm and tray? Was it everything you needed to connect strobe to housing and is it the canon housing? Is the basic arm and tray modular or, if you wanted something bigger/better, would you have to scrap it and start from scratch?

Finally, there is a hack to shoot your a620 in raw (and a lot more capabilities - live histogram DOF stacker, Over exposure indicator, etc). Respond here, PM me, or google "chdk wiki".

Cheers,
TEERLKAY

Teerlkay, I got my YS-60 yesterday. The kit, as shipped by Sea & Sea, includes the YS-60, a tray base, two stay adapters, expanding stay arm a diffuser, silicon grease, two extra o-rings, and batteries. See the last photo below.

The other photos show the strobe with my WP-DC90 housing attached to the tray, and the HW adapter attached to the strobe cord. I plan on using thermoplastic to form a mount for the HW adapter(s) and to block the camera flash.

I am pleased with the purchase and have gone ahead and ordered another YS-60. I will probably get another HW adapter as well. I haven't seen a better option for connecting the two strobes together and get TTL, plus I'll conceivably be able to remote the second YS-60 is the need arises (I'm not sure how well that would work, with the second HW adapter triggering off the primary YS-60 instead of the camera flash).

I have a friend that wants to buy the tray from me (the second one I will have when the other YS-60 arrives), so it will be even cheaper for me to go that route.

I will pm you on the A620 hack, that sounds interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_6395.jpg
    IMG_6395.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6397.jpg
    IMG_6397.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6398.jpg
    IMG_6398.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6401.jpg
    IMG_6401.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6402.jpg
    IMG_6402.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 49
Not the greatest arm but, hey, you can shoot out of the box and build it up later.

Speaking of building it up - does it seem like the parts are modular, can you add arms to what you have?

Did you ask S&S about warranty for the strobe - it certainly looks like a killer deal!

Hope CHDK works as well for you as it does for me! You're gonna need a bigger card!:wink:

Modular to the extent that you can use/not use the second stay/arm adapter, or run with a right side configuration. I plan to add the arm from the second YS-60 to what I have now. I also have a single arm Ikelite tray and arm set up, I'll just have to see what works better for me.

Per the clearance page on the S&S website, the strobes are sold as brand new with warranty.

Thanks for the pointer towards CHDK,

Teerlkay, I got my YS-60 yesterday. The kit, as shipped by Sea & Sea, includes the YS-60, a tray base, two stay adapters, expanding stay arm a diffuser, silicon grease, two extra o-rings, and batteries. See the last photo below.

The other photos show the strobe with my WP-DC90 housing attached to the tray, and the HW adapter attached to the strobe cord. I plan on using thermoplastic to form a mount for the HW adapter(s) and to block the camera flash.

I am pleased with the purchase and have gone ahead and ordered another YS-60. I will probably get another HW adapter as well. I haven't seen a better option for connecting the two strobes together and get TTL, plus I'll conceivably be able to remote the second YS-60 is the need arises (I'm not sure how well that would work, with the second HW adapter triggering off the primary YS-60 instead of the camera flash).

I have a friend that wants to buy the tray from me (the second one I will have when the other YS-60 arrives), so it will be even cheaper for me to go that route.

I will pm you on the A620 hack, that sounds interesting.

I just purchased the same strobe and HW adapter to use with my g7 (shooting raw with the hack). In case you don't already know, I have read that you can use a piece of exposed 35 mm film over your internal flash to block visible light and allow IR light to trigger the HW adapter. This may eliminate the need for elaborate systems that block the internal flash. I haven't tried it yet because my adapter hasn't arrived yet.

... When I replace my A620, I will likely go with something like a G9 and an Ikelite case to gain RAW and the ability to use different lens/adapters, along with the other features of a top end point and shoot.

You can change the A620 firmware to give you RAW capability. Here is the link:

FAQ - CHDK Wiki

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom