Anyone with buoyancy control tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last, but I am certain not least....

The placement of weight is critical as well. One diver that I know found the right amount of weight, but couldn't understand why she kept floating on one side. She moved some of the weight around in both the weight pouches and on the BCD. Weight in different places gives us different orientations, that's why you may see divers with weights on their tanks, ankles, different areas of the BC, around their neck.... (ok maybe not around their neck).

Oh, and if it hasn't be stated a million times already, practice practice practice. After 400+ hours u/w, I'm still working on perfecting buoyancy (it's excellent, but not perfect). Every dive is going to have different buoyancy characteristics, due to different states of mind. You might breathe (subconsciously) deeper or shallower on different dives causing different buoyancy issues. Thus, practice is the key: as you get more comfortable, you'll lose weight (off the belt that is) and use less air.

Cheers :)

...is to reduce weight - like TexasMike says. Our DM suggested I take off 2 of the 12 lbs I had on and boy, did that make a difference! No more constant fiddling around with the BC. Jump in the water with the teeniest bit of air in it and that was it for the dive. Ocassionally a little in or a little out, but I was really surprised.

The more comfortable you are under the water the better you will be.It takes time to find the best places to put and wear stuff.Most new students are struggling with straps,flippers and mask flooding to concentrate on buoyancy and find themselves all over the place.Get the gear comfy and then practice the control of your breathing and pay attention to how your lungs will affect it as you inhale and exhale.As others have said,there will be a delay.
When you are comfortable with that then you can try the divers Kama Sutra of different positions.Some body shapes are suited to others than ourselves.The main goal is to achieve neutral buoyancy.When your breathing is relaxed you will need less weights and be much more comfortable.One more thing.....try to expel ALL farts on the surface and not into your suit.This may put you in the arse up position which no matter how casual or cool you try to look is just NOT sexy....
:wink:
There can be only one,
The Gasman.

All of the above are great tips but it comes down to one word.

PRACTICE.

It only takes some time and you won't even think about it anymore.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom