Anyone with recent experience with the Plaza on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VicScubaVentures

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone here with recent experience with the Plaza Resort Bonaire? Their 6D "all inclusive" looks to be a good deal.

I'm looking at a week's dive vacation in mid-September and have enough airline points for a free trip to Bonaire:D. Wanting all meals included (no fun going out to eat when you're alone, and I'm going to dive-dive-dive-eat-sleep-dive-dive-dive), shore dive at resort (24x7 tanks), 2-tank boat dives in the morning, nitrox, and don't care about a truck rental (will be travelling alone, not comfortable diving solo at a remote "drive to" site). Experienced diver (instructor) into photography.

Also considering a return to CoCo View on Roatan ... but a little hesitant over potential bad weather.

Thoughts / comments much appreciated.

Cheers,
Craig.

I been there twice, most recently last April. Headed back in 18 days. It's about the same quality as the majority of resorts on the island, and is probably the largest. We've been in Bonaire in September, once at the Plaza. It was at most 40% occupied. We don't do the all-inclusive because there are so many good restaurants but it is a good deal to cap your expenses. Grand suites are really nice - stayed in one first visit; junior suites are good too, stayed in one last spring and have booked one for this trip. The resort is a bit spread out but the farthest grand suite from the parking lot is probably @ 350 yards. Junior suites are much closer. We haven't eaten at the Tipsy Seagull but have had breakfasts and lunches at the Banana Tree. Food is good; breakfast buffet was rather sparse compared to those I've gone to in PA Dutch country. Dive shop is good. Did a few boat dives first trip because when I booked I did not have any dive buddies arranged and my wife doesn't dive but was able to set some up on BonaireTalk. If you have any specific questions I may be able to answer, PM me.

I've been to Bonaire twice and stayed both times at the Plaza. The rooms are clean and include a small fridge to stash snacks from the grocery store in town. Toucan Diving is their house dive shop and in both instances we were very pleased with the service we received. One of the dive masters is Erica-- she can give you advice on where to shore dive around the island too. The house reef is pretty cool and it's nice to do night dives right behind the resort. Try not to miss out on the truck thing, though-- Perhaps the dive shop can help you hook up with another single buddy, because diving in the national park is pretty freakin' cool. :)

Don't forget-- if you like gouda cheese, that you can buy a huge wheel for like 10 bucks. I always bring one home wrapped in my wetsuit and the wedges make great gifts for friends...

Kbashara, please when was the last time you were in Bonaire? It must be a very long time because a wheel of cheese is much more..a small wedge is around 10 USD so I am guessing 40+ for a wheel. In 2010, our prices rose considerably. I do love the house reef for snorkeling..amazing..They have a great BBQ on Tue. night with steel band. Check to insure you are booking a refurbished room.

Decision made.
A buddy decided to come along for the trip, so we're staying a week at Buddy Dive.
Looking forward to the adventure.

C.

Kbashara, please when was the last time you were in Bonaire? It must be a very long time because a wheel of cheese is much more..a small wedge is around 10 USD so I am guessing 40+ for a wheel. In 2010, our prices rose considerably. I do love the house reef for snorkeling..amazing..They have a great BBQ on Tue. night with steel band. Check to insure you are booking a refurbished room.

Thanks, phelana, It's been about 2 years and that's 2 years too long. :) I'm sorry to hear the prices rose that sharply and there is always that my memory does not serve as well as it should. Cheers, -K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom