Anything worth seeing in Caesar Creek?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went on a field trip with my daughter's 3rd grade class to Caesar Creek and when the ranger said that the resevoir was 120ft deep guess what went through my mind. OK, easy guess. The rangers left before I could inquire about scuba in the resevoir, but I've since found out that it is possible. (From a link on the OCSSDI site and a "direct" link to the Ohio Administrative Code 1501:41-7-06 Snorkel and scuba diving prohibited: exceptions..)

Since a town was flooded, it seems like there might be something to see, but if diving is limited to the "no wake" zone I'd think it unlikely as that wouldn't be the deeper areas where the town might have been.

Has anyone been to Caesar Creek State Park to scuba? The park page doesn't list scuba as an activity, but the Ohio Deptartment of Natural Resources (ODNR) web site makes it very difficult to search for where scuba is allowed. You can find that "Snorkeling and scuba diving are allowed in 29 state park lakes.", but it doesn't list these 29 lakes anywhere and even when some summary pages say scuba diving is allowed (with permit), the site-specific page says nothing about scuba.

The more general question then becomes... Has anyone dived in an ODNR state park? And if so, was it worth it?

-Rob

The Caesar Creek Lake is actually controlled by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and their site is silent on the question of scuba diving.

I was wondering if you ever found out anything else about this subject? I just met a guy that claims he dived it a lot and found tons of anchors while there.

Anymore information about Caesar Creek? I'm a new diver (open water cert next month in San Jaun I hope) and Caesar Creek is right out my back door.
Would like to hook up with dive buddies in the Wilmington area.
Terry

found this elsewhere
"You don't want to dive Caesar's Creek, the visibility is near zero and there are all kinds of entanglement hazards there."

Last edited:
...when the ranger said that the resevoir was 120ft deep guess what went through my mind.
In response to the mention that Caesar Creek Lake is 120ft deep I wanted to add a contour map of the lake that I found on the State Park website: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/Maps/Lake Maps/PDFs/caesarcreeklake2.pdf From the map, most of the lake appears to be less than 50 feet.
caesarcreeklake2.pdf
Also, the Ohio Ranger web site says that scuba diving is permitted in Caesar Creek Lake, "Swimming, wading, snorkeling or scuba diving at one's own risk is permitted, except at boat launching sites, designated mooring points and public docks, or other areas so designated by the District Commander." (Caesar Creek Lake | Oh, Ranger!)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom