AOW cert done

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well today I finished my AOW, wasn't really the same as when I got my OW cert but another step in this. We went to Dutch on Sat and Sun, and seeing as the rest of my OW class were doing their first AOW dives I joined in and redid 3 of the dives I've previously done. Which I enjoyed, learned even more, as I do every dive I'm on. Seems like this a sport that you never stop learning it. So I buddied up with a new guy (new as in I've never dove with him before) and did the Nav again. I had to sit back and wonder...oh no. He was having so much trouble with it. I couldn't quite convay everything to him again on the slate so we surfaced and I went over what he had to do and made sure he understood. Our instructor was in the water but helping another group at the time. We go back down and do the timed cycle/kick cycle, no problem this time then we go to do the compass box, he had a little trouble..thinking he had to do a 100' box. I'm like "where is this guy going?". Again I stop him, tell him on the slate.....you can do a smaller one..please. Again we try, and he goes a bit astay, I stop him and repeat...he does it better and ends up at the same spot. Natural Nav box, good seeing as the vis totally was shot at this point, around 5. I enjoyed it because I got to the instructors side of it I quess, and I liked helping the guy out.

Then I redid the Search and Recovery, and the night dive. Which I just love to do! My first night dive was a ocean wreck on the Cranford Ferry. I loved redoing them as I got to practice more of the stuff I learned on my first dives and got more insight to the paticulars as well.

Today we did a deep and wreck, Deep was 75' about my norm I quess anymore. 6 logged at that depth, all ocean except for this one. And I've just been diving with the DM's or Instructors I know for fun. Wreck was cool we did the helicopter, very cool! I love wrecks!

But the one thing that I learned today and is a very general one and rightly so, never leave your buddy. End of the dive the instructor hand signals before, safety stop 3 minutes. (I'm used to them I've been diving alot under 60') Ascending we stop at 45' following a steel structure (the pumphouse) the instructor wanted his hood off as he was hot. My buddy is close to me and I signal him to stop. Help the instructor get changed, look around...*** where's my buddy! Signal ok to me before, he understands right? wrong. We look up, nothing....I'm pissed and worried. We ascend to 15' and do our stop, looking around the whole time. After surfacing, he not on the surface either, and he was at 800psi on the ascend. After a minute I know he is OOA, but being his buddy all throughout OW I know him and how he acts. I'm not worried but pissed the F off. I know he went up, no safety as togather diving we never went deep enough to really do one. And I know he just walked back to strip down. The instructors goes back down to double check, and nothing. We go back and sure enough he is stripped and just chillin out. Needless to say I smacked him a couple of times upside the head with my hood after the Instructor got done chewing his ***** off.

But as I assumed, he thought at the mask changing we (the instructor and myself would go back down seeing as we had plenty of air) he ascended right up, and went in. I've never been so pissed when diving before, never.

So anyway...got my Advanced done but learned a whole lot more over this weekend to say the least!

19 logged so far, hope after this week/weekend I can practice more and have over 20 for the Big "O" I've got 6 dives at 75+ so far, but would like a couple more.

rhyz:
My buddy is close to me and I signal him to stop. Help the instructor get changed, look around...*** where's my buddy! Signal ok to me before, he understands right? wrong. We look up, nothing.

Technically, if you signal a hold, the buddy is supposed to return a hold instead of an ok. He signaled you that he understood you were stopping. But then he did several unwise things. Did your buddy take this course with you?

Yeah he's been with me through the OW and now the AOW. But I've been diving alot more than him.....mainly just fun dives with the DM's and Instructors I know. That would have been his 8th dive. And yes I'm partly to blame I quess also.

No, you're not to blame at all. Your buddy abandoned you and didn't signal that he was low on air or that he was going to ascend. Did he pass the class?

Yes after the chewing out and wreck dive that we did, which he buddied as he was suppose to, I even had him do a safety stop, think the max we went to was 61 on that one. After that dive the instructor deemed he was okay. But as previously posted on numerous thread, the AOW does leave alot to be considered I think. I think I'm a careful diver, I dont take risks just to do it, always follow advice and my DM/Instructors to a T. Basically because I want to be considered a competent/good diver by my peers someday. And because I want a long career in this sport. So I try my best in myself and my buddy.

I agree, you are not to blame, but it can be a very tense time. Swim buddies are supposed to stay together ... nothing is more frustrating that looking around and wondering where is your dive buddy. One thing I have learned is that when I am buddied up with someone, I ALWAYS go over how to recognize each other under water (esp. when diving in crowds) what to do if we are separated, what the dive plan is, as well as review of each others equipment ...

What dive shop do you do your training through, just out of curiosity. We live down in Burlington county.

ah, live and learn. Glad you're living, and maybe you're learning to find a different buddy!

Kevin

Congratulation dude

Back
Top Bottom