AOW classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI AOW can be completed in 5 different locations with 5 different instructors over the course of an indefinite period of time. As already stated, if the drift dive was the Adventure dive after OW cert dives were completed, it counts towards Adventure Diver &/or AOW. If there was a dive involved in the Nitrox class (and it was signed off as an Adventure Dive by the instructor) it also counts. If you only need 3 dives to complete AOW any respectable instructor or shop should charge an appropriate price for 3 dives.

Where I work we charge $100 per training dive and additional charges for materials, confined water training and academics. If you have the book already 3 training dives with knowledge review sessions would be in the neighborhood of $360, vs $600 for the complete AOW class. That may sound high to many of you but it is all relative; the cheapest room here is probably more than $600/night. :D

Where I work we charge $100 per training dive and additional charges for materials, confined water training and academics. If you have the book already 3 training dives with knowledge review sessions would be in the neighborhood of $360, vs $600 for the complete AOW class. That may sound high to many of you but it is all relative; the cheapest room here is probably more than $600/night. :D

Does that include boat fees?

I am going to agree with don't rush it. I took AOW when I needed to have the card to dive a site that the ops going there wouldn't take you unless you had an AOW card (According to their website anyway). So I ended up with Nav (Good course, Practice), Deep (Good course, Only did 85 feet), Night (nice dive), Computer (taught the instructor about my computer), Drysuit (good course but, had already did it) So I didn't get much out of the course because we rushed through it to get the card. I had 85'ish dives at the time. I wouldn't reccomend waiting that long either.

Does that include boat fees?

:rofl3:

Those are on-site shore dives. I was under-estimating the cost. The deep dive would require a scooter which is $25 more on-site. If the DPV Adventure dive is also selected, it would also be $25 more on-site. If we go to an off-site location add $25 per dive. To go on a boat, add $25 per dive with a 2 student minimum; private is $50 per dive extra.

Our guests do not typically ask how much, and if we are only competent the tip is 20%. :lotsalove:

Over the holidays I had a 24 y/o AOW college student do Deep Specialty and DPV Specialty, all with scooters from shore and only one on-site dive - $800 was the deal we swung him and the gratuities were over $300. :wink:

Dependng on where you will do most of your diving, you might just pick the dives that will help you the most. A resort location does NOT mean they pick the dives; I did my AOW at a resort (why pay $250 for 5 texas lake dives?) and I chose the remaining three. Multi level was recommended for me because apparently the DM course I will take requires using the PADI wheel, which was the main point of the multi level AOW dive I took. I found it pretty interesting, and much more useful than the standard tables for back up use in case of computer failure.

Sounds like Diving is too expensive for me on Maui. Maybe if I hit the Lotto!!:D

Guess I'll suffer through Bonaire again.

:rofl3:

Those are on-site shore dives. I was under-estimating the cost. The deep dive would require a scooter which is $25 more on-site. If the DPV Adventure dive is also selected, it would also be $25 more on-site. If we go to an off-site location add $25 per dive. To go on a boat, add $25 per dive with a 2 student minimum; private is $50 per dive extra.

Our guests do not typically ask how much, and if we are only competent the tip is 20%. :lotsalove:

Over the holidays I had a 24 y/o AOW college student do Deep Specialty and DPV Specialty, all with scooters from shore and only one on-site dive - $800 was the deal we swung him and the gratuities were over $300. :wink:

Sounds like Diving is too expensive for me on Maui. Maybe if I hit the Lotto!!:D

Guess I'll suffer through Bonaire again.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford Bonaire someday!

If you were enjoying one of the most expensive resorts on Maui those would be the prices if you chose the path of least resistance straight down to the water after room service breakfast in your suite. No rental car required, with complimentary resort shuttle to many off site dives. The second tier resorts have slightly lower prices for similar diving and the shuttle might not be complimentary.

Typical vacation only divers take dive boats out of Lahaina or Kihei, and the price is pretty high compared to mainland US. Independents also guide/instruct/photo/video some divers on trips with various afore mentioned boats (prices somewhat higher than just going out on the boat).

Typical shore divers arrange guided dives with local dive shops in Lahaina and Kihei and the price is considerably better but the dive experience is more unpredictable. Some visitors shore dive with independent guide/instructors making only the dive conditions so unpredictable.

I have soured on boat or dive shop employment, never done well at anything typical. Luckily my faithful cliental are not interested in anything typical. A perfect employer would keep me pretty busy at an exclusive resort and support my existing shore and boat cliental.

Hard core shore divers and people visiting with insufficient funds eventually shore dive without guides, which might only cost $40 for a full set of gear and a couple tanks. If you bring your own gear, tanks and weights might be cheaper here than many mainland locations and there are fairly easy entries at many shore sites.

We do see a very high percentage of dissatisfaction in Hawaii diving from the shore diving only group. Until an experienced Island guide shows you some of the many special and different things over a variety of sites, many divers can not grasp the unique beauty of our diving. That's probably one reason all boats have guides here?

Until an experienced Island guide shows you some of the many special and different things over a variety of sites, many divers can not grasp the unique beauty of our diving. That's probably one reason all boats have guides here?

When I travel to a far off destination it's nice to have guided dives by the locals because they know where all the good stuff is and I get he most for my hard earned $$$. If I lived there I'ld want to do my own exploring. I did my AOW on Oahu and the Instructor who was also the dive guide showed me alot of neat stuff that I'ld have never seen on my own. In particular was a small cavern that I probably would have just swam by. We swam thru it and it was "loaded" with sea turtles. :)

Does anyone have a list of the different specialties that can be taken for the AOW?
I know there is Peek Buoyancy, Deep, navigation, drift diver, boat diver.... But does anyone have a complete list?

Thanks,
The requirements and options vary by agency. I suggest you go to the website for the agency you are planning on taking the course from and look at their page on continuing education.

Back
Top Bottom