AOW classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a list of PADI courses. UW Nav and Deep are required. The other 3 depend on you and your instructor.

I'd suggest including specialties that do more for basic diving skills such as night/limited viz, nav, search, deep, bouyancy.

Warnberg,
This is really great advise. These adventures will allow you to boost your confidence level by building dive skills. The AOW card is a handy card to have because there are some dives you will not be able to participate in unless you have one. But keep in mind, an AOW card "does not" make you an advanced diver. The only thing that will do that is "experience", so dive often! :)

This is probably a good place to say that I have gotten my materials today for the PADI AOW course. Haven't decided which electives I will take. I have a friend who is a PADI instructor who will be my instructor.

I wasn't quite ready to spend the dollars to do this (recession and all that), but I can't go on many of the dives I want, as they are deeper than 60 feet.

Thank you everyone.

Here is what I am thinking... I have to take deep and navigation. I also already have my drift dive (last dive of the OW course which I understand counts toward my AOW) and I have my nitrox cert. I want to take peak buoyancy.... so there is only one that I "select". I want to take something that is going to help me gain confidence, so I am thinking something like night/limited vis or a stress/rescue class..... For those of you that have your AOW what did you take and why?

Thank you everyone.

Here is what I am thinking... I have to take deep and navigation. I also already have my drift dive (last dive of the OW course which I understand counts toward my AOW) and I have my nitrox cert. I want to take peak buoyancy.... so there is only one that I "select". I want to take something that is going to help me gain confidence, so I am thinking something like night/limited vis or a stress/rescue class..... For those of you that have your AOW what did you take and why?
Do the Night Dive.......... it will really be a good class overall to show you what your skills really are. From personal experience, I can tell you that it is the dive that freaked me out and made me really understand the phrase "task-loading". When you are in daylight and clear water you have a whole security system of knowing about how deep you are, where everything is.... you feel safe. Well, once the lights go out and you have NO reference points, you have to rely on your gauges and your ears. Until you do it, you won't understand, but it is very very different. Its nice to do your first night dive with an instructor for that reason.
Now night dives are one of my favorites and I try to do them at every dive destination... but that first one was scary!:D

Thank you everyone.

Here is what I am thinking... I have to take deep and navigation. I also already have my drift dive (last dive of the OW course which I understand counts toward my AOW) and I have my nitrox cert.
I want to take peak buoyancy.... so there is only one that I "select". I want to take something that is going to help me gain confidence, so I am thinking something like night/limited vis or a stress/rescue class..... For those of you that have your AOW what did you take and why?

Warnberg,
:no I would not recommend taking a short cut on your AOW course by signing off on a drift dive you did on your OW course. You're paying for 5 dives so "do" 5 dives. You already know that you have to take Deep and UW Navigation as your core dives so why not take - Peak Perfomance Buoyancy, Night and Search and Recovery for the other three. You'll have fun plus you'll learn more. After all, isn't that what it's all about? :)

Warnberg,
:no I would not recommend taking a short cut on your AOW course by signing off on a drift dive you did on your OW course. You're paying for 5 dives so "do" 5 dives. You already know that you have to take Deep and UW Navigation as your core dives so why not take - Peak Perfomance Buoyancy, Night and Search and Recovery for the other three. You'll have fun plus you'll learn more. After all, isn't that what it's all about? :)

Warnberg,
I second this advice. While an AOW class does not truly make you an "Advanced" diver it can introdue you to aspects of diving with the comfort level of having an Instructor along for the dive. My dives were Dry Suit (now about 75% of my dives), Photography (take a camera on about 50% of the dives), Peak Performance Bouyancy ('nuff said) as well as Deep and Nav. It was a great way to get introduced to Dry and Photo.
If you have the opportunity, take the time and discuss what interests you about diving with your Instructor balanced with what is available to do in your local area. This way you can get out of the AOW dives what you want, and what is going to make you want to go out and dive and continue learning.

Good luck with your class!

Hank

Does anyone have a list of the different specialties that can be taken for the AOW?

Since your profile says you are PADI, the following are the dives that can count toward the PADI AOW cert. Some specialties, such as Cavern, Ice, and Rebreather are not offered as part of AOW.

Deep (required)
Navigation (required)
Altitude
Boat
Diver Propulsion Vehicle
Drift
Dry Suit
Enriched Air
Fish ID
Multilevel and Computer
National Geographic
Naturalist
Night
Peak Performance Buoyancy
Search and Recovery
Photography
Digital Photography
Videography
Wreck

I also already have my drift dive (last dive of the OW course which I understand counts toward my AOW)
If it was a fifth open water scuba dive (also called an excursion dive), then yes, it can count toward AOW. If it was only the fourth dive, then no.

I agree with most of the others. Deep and uw nav are required. Personally I'd recommend night, search and recovery, and peak buoyancy. Even if boat diving it (boat) to me would be a waste. Along with fish ID, uw photo, and some of the other fluff stuff. Take something that will help your confidence and your skills. Photo would be good as a specialty IF it incorporated buoyancy and finning techniques, weighting to accomplish this, and photo etiquette. Just doing a dive with a camera is an easy out for the instructor. Doing 4 or 5 with all the necessary skills thrown in is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom