AOW Deep dive yesterday....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobster75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
....100 ft down, 48f, 15 ft viz, AL80, 15 mins tbt.... In a nutshell... a bit scary...

Heh. I haven't hoovered like that since my first OW dive 3 years ago. Had no problems following the chain down or going back up and doing the safety stop with my buddy, but wow.. I was really surprised to see how nervous I got once down there... Obviously it was all psychological, and when I was trying to perform a task, I was just fine since I had something to focus on besides "crap im down 100 ft and if things go bad, I'm dead." It annoyed me that I was thinking "relax, you're fine, breathe nice and relaxed." but my body wasn't feeling like cooperating. It was also the coldest I've dove yet and things just seemed to feel different down that far. It almost felt like I was diving in a light syrup.. Don't know if that was the 4 atm or just in my head.. Otherwise I would say that I wasn't narc'd because I had no problem re-sorting 15 numbers that were out of order.

After the dive, back on the boat, the fun continued as waves tossed us around a bit and just before the second dive I was bright green and ended up tossing my cookies over the side (literally.. the charter folks had given me a couple ginger snaps to eat to settle my stomach). So... feeling kinda crappy, I skipped the 2nd dive.

I know now that I was nervous because the thought of being stuck at depth without air scares the bejeezus out of me. Being not in the best shape and only having 20 dives so far my SAC is also high (I avg .70 if im comfortable and doing minor taskloading). And knowing that I'm consuming air 4 times faster at 100 ft made me really worry that I'd suck the thing dry overly fast. When I noticed I was at our turn pressure of 1500 psi, I signaled the instructor who was next to me that I wanted to ascend because I hit turn and he signaled the DM to bring me back up the line. Once the DM came over and pointed at me and then the anchor line, I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. I was worried I wouldn't have enough air w/ my hoovering to perform the 2 min safety stop at 15ft.. It really was unfounded though as the DM and the instructors both had pony rigs in case something like that happened.

Got back on the boat with 750psi which surprised me as I thought it would have taken more air. SAC rate for this dive: .90!

Tagged along for lunch w/ the DM and instructor and went with them to their afternoon shore dives for a bunch of OW checkouts since I had my 2nd tank unused and just tagged along, helping to keep an eye on the newbies since it was just 4'-5' viz, @ 20 ft. Ended that dive with my all time lowest SAC rate: .34!

Be fun when later in the future I can go down to 100 ft in New England waters and think how silly I was my first time :wink:

Congrats, man.

Even though you could resort those numbers, you were narc'ed. It happens to all of us in some way or another. You will become comfortable with experience, the SAC will lower, and you'll enjoy more of the scenery. I got nervous on my first 100ft plus dive.

Remeber to manage your team, your equipment and your environment. You did well with calling the dive at the right time, and you surfaced with a good amount of gas.

The move you dive the better it gets!

Sounds like a good first deep dive experience! The difference in SAC from your usual dive just clearly illustrates how being "comfortable" has such a huge impact on SAC. Now that you are pumped with the "I've been to 100' before and lived to tell the tale" confidence, you'll notice your SAC rate will improve on future dives such as this, and someday soon it will be YOU telling a scaredy-cat newbie how you hoovered your first time too.

sounds like you had fun all-in-all :)
The safety of your buddy / instructor there to help and the rush of a new experience :)
I am sure I'll be there soon and hope your story will help me get through it :)

Sounds great - swimming in syrup! hehe

Man there are loads of people doing their AOW at the moment - its not far! these last 12 days are going very slowly!

Well you've done it now - 100', whats your next AOW dive? Would you like to do another deep dive?

Thanks for sharing, Mobster. I'm starting my Advanced this weekend in conditions similar to yours. I get the feeling experiences like what you just had will keep coming. We will eventually get comfortable to 100 feet and 15 foot vis conditions. I love diving for giving me that feeling of accomplishment and that feeling of conquering a fear. And I'm grateful that once we do, no matter how experienced we get, there will always be a new challenge to humble us all over again.

Finished my AOW at Lake Travis, Austin Texas a few weeks ago. Deep, Dark and Cold, 90' with 5' (being generous) of visibilty. Instructor made us lace up a board at depth, like you would a pair of shoes, to see what the effects of nitrogen narcosis will do to you. All I can say is I can't wait to dive blue water!

SteveFass:
Thanks for sharing, Mobster. I'm starting my Advanced this weekend in conditions similar to yours. I get the feeling experiences like what you just had will keep coming. We will eventually get comfortable to 100 feet and 15 foot vis conditions.

I'll be doing my AOW this weekend too, in Millbrook Quarry so I'm sure it will be similar. Should be interesting. And by interesting, I mean pucker-factor 9.5! :11:

JdLag1:
Finished my AOW at Lake Travis, Austin Texas a few weeks ago. Deep, Dark and Cold, 90' with 5' (being generous) of visibilty. Instructor made us lace up a board at depth, like you would a pair of shoes, to see what the effects of nitrogen narcosis will do to you. All I can say is I can't wait to dive blue water!

What other dives did you do and how did they all go? I'm going to Lake Travis this weekend for my AOW...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom