AOW in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JanR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All,

Thanks to everyone (including Rich who's thread in the Hawaii forum I jumped onto) for the advice.

My wife and I are now AOW certified!!! Which really means we can now kill ourselves down to 130 feet instead of 60 feet.

Overall we were pleased with Island Divers with whom we did our course and dives. We had some equipment issues which disappointed us, but outside of those, the dives and instruction were handled very professionally but in a relaxed manner. I'd dive with them again any time...I wouldn't rent equipment from them however. No problem, I now have funding authorization from the Boss to make this a moot point.

We dove six dives over three days. On Thursday, we dove two shallow sites off of Hawaii Kai, I don't have my log book available, but I believe they were called something like Hawaii Koko Crater and Hawaii Luna Crater. Tracey and I learned quickly that we had been spoiled with conditions in Tahiti. Both of our computers read 73 degree water (our instructor's read 74), but with the advise from this board, our 5mm suits kept us warm. The surge surprised us and Tracey found out that it is possible to get seasick below the suface. However, by the second dive we adjusted well and had a good dive.

On Friday, we did our deep dive on the YO-237. Now I get why people like diving wrecks. Very cool (as in good) dive. Water temps were about 74 degrees and had a decent current. The second dive that morning was at Turtle Canyon.

On Saturday, we dove the Sea Tiger and then the Kewalo Pipe. The visibility at the Pipe surprised us, probably only about 30-40 feet. But, we found an octopus, some eels and some other very cool things which made our dive fun.

What did I learn?

1. I still have a bunch to learn which only diving more will be able to correct.
2. Don't try to fight a surge...simply let it gently rock you. If the surge is moving the fish 5 feet left and right, there's no problem letting it rock you 5 feet left and right (unless you're against coral, which you simply go up a few feet to protect it.)
3. Better to be too warm on the surface than too cold at depth. Saw several divers shivering on the surface trying to warm up for the next dive as Tracey and I were stripping the tops of our wetsuits off to cool off.
4. Need to work on maintaining proper buoyancy on our ascents. I'm pretty proud of my buoyancy control at depth, easily maintaining a constant depth and position over a wreck or coral. However, I found ascending from about 40 feet to 15 feet was very difficult to do slowly. I think that the decompression of our suits made us more buoyant as we came up which surprised us. (Forgetting that the rear purge valve on my BCD was broken, didn't help. But still need more experience in realizing the issue and rotating my body more vertically to be able to use the inflator purge valve sooner.) Equipment wasn't the real culprit of one hairy ascent, lack of experience was.
5. When ascending when in a current, I need to do one of two things: a) ascend on a line. b) if not on a line, make sure that if I'm kicking against the current to maintain position, to make sure that I'm not kicking myself upwards which would only exasperate the problems in #4. Option A seems to be a much safer way for us for a while until we get more experience.
6. A compass can come in handy, not just for the navigation course. Won't relate the story...enough said that I was dumb and won't make the same mistake again.
7. Despite the crew setting up your equipment, always always recheck it yourself. Fortunately, this wasn't discovered from a mistake, but from actually doing something right.
8. I now understand the benifits of Nitrox as we found that we actually had to ascend on our second dive Saturday because of NDL as opposed to air. There is a NITROX course in my future for sure.

A lot of lessons learned, but I'm glad that none are too difficult to correct with more dives. As I tell my wife, the piece of equipment I want most is a new log book.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Jan

Yes, those are all great dive sites. The water temp will start heating up here in a couple of months. Just remember we are in winter right now. :D

At first I just wore a compass because of my training, but before I reached the point of thinking it was no use I actually needed it and was glad to have it. I now know how important it can be and keep it on.

Surge can be fun but you sound like you learned how to handle it. Some of my best dives have been in surge that moves me 5-6 feet back and forth/front to back. Just don't try and take any pictures in this kind of surge as it can get really aggravating very quickly.

If you get to dive Kewalo pipe again make sure you check under the pipe on the west side of the pipe at the ocean end opening of the pipe. if yo will look close you will see something that looks like a red pipe cleaner about 6 inches long. It is a Pipe fish and a relative of the Sea Horse. That is the only place I have ever seen one here and the only one that I ever see there. I have seen it every time I dove the pipe.

JanR:
4. Need to work on maintaining proper buoyancy on our ascents. I'm pretty proud of my buoyancy control at depth, easily maintaining a constant depth and position over a wreck or coral. However, I found ascending from about 40 feet to 15 feet was very difficult to do slowly. I think that the decompression of our suits made us more buoyant as we came up which surprised us.

Dont be too hard on yourself there. If this was your first time using a thicker wetsuit, then it is understandable that you'll have problems with the buoyancy shift as the suit expands. Is perfectly normal.

As you gain experience, your body will realize what being positive, negative and neutrally buoyant feels like - even if it is slightly +ive or slightly -ive. Then you'll be able to adjust accordingly.

Sounds like you had fun - wrecks are something special, arent they? There is something about their mystique that really appeals to me. I've never had a single bad wreck diver. Ever.

Vandit

I am pretty sure Pacific Paradise Divers has brand new rental gear.......

Jan I'm impressed with your insight and thoughtfulness. We carry log books as does most dive shops however, there are also some good programs to use. Once you get a dive computer you can download your dive info to your home computer. The detail it creates is pretty cool (Oceanic and Aeris both have computers you can download).

I was in Hawaii in December and loved the dives. We had some ocean surge in various places but overall it was pretty calm.

Happy Diving

Jan and Tracey, congratulations on your continuing education!

Being new to the 5mm suits I'm guessing you got certified someplace in warm water, probably Tahiti. The 5mm suits will be a nice transition to what you will need to dive near home though the 5mms will be nice in the milder seasons. Even a 7mm suit is not a big deal once you get in the water even if you feel like the Michellin man the first time you don it.

Don't consider yourself spoiled in Tahiti, you were just under exposed to the diversity in water temps, that's all. Exposure protection is not a dirty word and it can extend your adaptation and comfort beyond belief.

You are right about the surge, there is a time to swim and a time to hang and it can be very soothing. Having good trim makes this a lot easier to enjoy.

As for Tracey feeding the fish that's a good one to get under her belt in a fairly controlled situation. Over time I guess it happens to many divers. I've been lucky so far, she knows she can deal with it now. It could be a new AOW specialty. :)

On the ascents I found that I do best dimping air as I go with my inflator, the shoulder and back dumps are much too effective. The inflator has finer control. Unless you have a fixed reference like a wall or clearly visible line watch your depth instrument. Your buddy or stuff in the water column is sure to confuse you.

I wouldn't get into the water without a compass and a bearing that will get me back to the entry point. Navigate lightly even if you are not the leader. It sounds like you have room for growth on navigation. Practice just pacing in the back yard, it's really the same except when diving you need to trust the instrument and your skill.

The more you can keep the crews hands off your gear the better. At this point you both need that experience more than they do. Even more so now that you will own.

Congratulations of the funding authorizarion. That's the biggest key to being frequent, safe proficient local divers. If you buy your gear be sure to dicker for a local orientation dive or two. That will let the LDS coach you on the best rigging of your gear and insure that you're off to a good start.

Yes, by all means be sure to log your dives in any manner you want. I run an Excel spreadsheet, some use a plain notebook. there is software and pre-printed forms. If you search you can fnd some Word or PDF file here that you can print and copy. The important thing is to build a leepsake, track your configurations like weight and placement. Keep track of lessons learned and special experiences. Tracking your air use can also be interesting.

Congratulations on bumping your NDLs so early on. That's an outstanding sign.

As you mentioned now dive, dive, dive!

Pete

Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement.

Aquahump,

Our LDS offers a buoyancy seminar that I'm looking at taking after I buy my BCD/gear. It's pool work right now, but I'll expand to take the full PPB specialty once summer comes around. With this, I know that we'll want to get NITROX certified as we've seen the benefits from our time here.

Vkalia/Spectrum,

Yes...this was the first time diving in 5mm. So much more to learn.

Spectrum,

Not so much of problem of not having navigation skills. Both Tracey and I are in the Army and very familiar with the use of a compass, pace count and other terristiral navigation techniques. However, knowing how to use a compass is moot when you don't take one with you. Like I said, ain't going to happen again.

One thing that I did notice being different in underwater navigation is that I found it too easy to jam the card of the compass when holding your arm out in the PADI proscribed manner. I'm not sure if there is a way you could adapt the center-hold method of holding a lensatic compass on shore to underwater diving. It seems that it would be easier to prevent the compass card from jamming by adjusting the compass in your hands than trying to rotate your wrist just so.

Oh, the log book thing. Sorry, that was an attempt (failed so it seems) to be cute. It's not so much that I want a new log book, I want to be in the position that my current one is full and must buy a new log book.

Thanks again to everyone.

Jan

Neoprene is your friend, belive it or not. With a little experience it will be a non-issue.

As you have noted holding the compass in a true horizontal is very important especially in diving. There are some wrist positions with crossed arms that can be used. You do have the option of wrist, consloe stale and retractor mounted units and all have their proponents. I'm happy with mine in the console, Genesis 3 dial, inline. In a 3D enviornment your trim needs to be under control, otherwise you need to forever establish the horizon to level the compas. You PPB class should compliment your navigation. Contrasted to topside vavigation you just need to be warry of cross currents and adjust accordingly.

Good luck in burning up that first logbook!

Pete

rockjock3:
If you get to dive Kewalo pipe again make sure you check under the pipe on the west side of the pipe at the ocean end opening of the pipe. if yo will look close you will see something that looks like a red pipe cleaner about 6 inches long. It is a Pipe fish and a relative of the Sea Horse. That is the only place I have ever seen one here and the only one that I ever see there. I have seen it every time I dove the pipe.

You, and if you're double lucky there will be 2 :D I have a pic somewhere with them and the guy pipefish has eggs on his tummy

Back
Top Bottom