AOW training in SoFla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Evening,
The missus and I are interested in pursuing AOW training & certification next Spring (late March 2011) somewhere in Southern Florida. We'd like to perhaps make a week of it, with 3-5 days for the course and an additional couple of days checking out interesting dive sites. Could all be in one area, or could be spread out over 2+ locations.

We are NAUI OW certified and expect to be at a minimum 25-30 dive range by that time. Our diving style is fairly slow, deliberate, and centered around viewing marine life. Depth is not our priority (I understand the deep-diving aspect of OWA, it's just not central to us), but I really do want to focus on improving bouyancy, critter identification, and perhaps nitrox.

If there are any recommended shops/instructors/areas that we should look into, I'd greatly appreciate the suggestions.
Best,
Amw 5G

Do you want to stick with NAUI or does it not matter? I can recommend a couple of awesome independent NAUI instructors. If it doesn't matter, I can heartily recommend some shop- or charter-based instructors who are really awesome. Where in SoFla are you staying?

Howdy Debby. We don't feel the need to stick with NAUI, but certainly aren't opposed to it. Looking across the two, it seems that there is marginal difference in the requirements. As such, it's more important to us that we have an instructor that is sympatico to our style.
We're in Central Florida, and we're considering pretty much anywhere in S Florida for our trip. Where we stay will be dependent on where we dive. Of course this is Spring Break time, so there's that aspect to account for. We do have a generally fixed budget, but can flex on things like lodging and food in order to make the right diving fit.
Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

You're right, the agency is not as important as a really good instructor.

Once you know what city or area you'll be staying in, let me know.

Thank you kindly, AceszHigh. We'll check 'em out!

I am an AOW instructor (SSI#51198) and I would be happy to provide you with a solution if you are thinking the Boynton Beach area.
Wil
561-886-8925

Another vote for Kevin Metz at Underwater Explorers - SCUBA Diving Boynton Beach, Delray, Palm Beach, Reefs and Wrecks in Boynton Beach.
He teaches skills that many other instructors I observe haven't mastered like perfect trim and buoyancy anywhere in the water column. Divers that dive with him who aren't even students come away with skills they didn't have before.

Though I have no personal experience with him, many people would recommend Kevin Metz (Underwater Explorers - SCUBA Diving Boynton Beach, Delray, Palm Beach, Reefs and Wrecks) , who also runs a 6 pack dive charter in Boynton Beach.

Cheers Wilz. We'll be in touch as we firm up our plans.

Deepstops, your approval is very much appreciated. Looks like we've got a great deal of good options.
-Amw 5G

I'd like to piggyback on this topic if I may... :)

I'm thinking of doing my rescue class in FL -- most likely somewhere near Fort Lauderdale -- sometime next year. If at all possible, I'd prefer to work with a female NAUI instructor but in the end, it's the instructor not the agency. :wink:

I've asked my AOW instructor for recommendations but she's not in the loop anymore as she only teaches tech now so if anyone has any suggestions, please do PM or post. Debby, I'm especially interested in your NAUI independent instructor recommendations.

TIA!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom