Apeks DS4/ATX40 - Best Deal Going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

98TJ10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Its pretty easy to find an apeks DS4 and ATX40 combo on the interweb for ~$300 (dry sealed, balanced, reputable brand). Is this the best deal going? any known issues with the atx40 other than the dated looks? sounds like a steal to me. Would love to hear user experiences with either stages.

I've using been Apeks DS4 (I've got several) for some years now (more or less 8 years). Nothing to complain about the 1st stage.

As second stage, I've got an old TX50, a XTX50 and 2 ATX40. I've used them for shallow water diving, deep diving (on air up to 60m, no thrashing please, and on trimix up to 70m) and for some caving, not recently though.

I've nothing bad to say about those second stages. Maye the TX50 is a tad bulkier and heavier, maybe it's a little easier to breath on the XTX50, and the ATX40 are way cheaper, but as reliable as the other 2.

Hope it'll help.

Best bang for your buck,

Same DS4 and TX-50 since 1998 for rec and tec dive. So far so good.
The difference between 40 and 50 is the adjusting screw. Good to have but not absolutely necessary. If you can find the spare part it is not rocket science to convert the 40 to 50. BTW, both are cold water compatible.

The 40 series always has a venturi lever but not the adjusting screw.
Two different things.

Pretty good deal. Most of my regs are Apeks and they’re very reliable especially for stages.

Personally I prefer the DST (turret) for stages but nothing wrong with the bulletproof DS4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom