apeks regulator overhaul and parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacek

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
does anyone know what you have to do to be able to overhaul your own apeks reg and be able to get the parts for it?.. my guess is that some apeks authorized regulator technician course is required. if so where can you take one and how much does it cost ? thanks

No course is *required*... just the appropriate tools, the manuals, rebuild kits, and some common sense. If you're comfortable working on your own car, or tinkering with mechanical stuff, there's nothing in a regulator that would be mind-blowing. I find tuning the reg afterwards to perform satisfactorily is probably the most fiddly part.

you should look in the repairing your own gear thread. there is a ton of information on this subject. also, seajay's website, www.deepsouthdivers.com, is an amazing resource. it has step by step protocols for servicing an apeks reg. good luck:)

yes, you can repair them yourself, but i don't think too many dealers are going to be willing to sell you the parts kits as this would jepordize their agreement with the manufacturer. there are specialized tools required. the manufacturer goes through a lot of trouble to train authorized techs for you to have access to for a reason. IMHO, you should just let a properly trained tech work on it.

Thanks for the "plug," Christopher! :D The site's actually http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org , though... Dot com is someone else. :D

Once there, go to "Talk" then "Equipment" and then "Regulators." You'll see everything you need there... Including the Apeks "slide show" presentation and all of the owners and service manuals. There's even a variety of places to get parts.

There was one parts supplier that asked not to be listed, for fear of being "blacklisted" by Apeks... That individual has asked me to keep their information private. So... I have one more parts resource available (here in the U.S.) if you'd like it, but you're gonna have to PM me or email me at SeaJay@bftwave.net to get it. :D

With a few of the right tools, the resources for understanding how it's done, and an afternoon, Apeks regs can be serviced - and serviced correctly - at home.

After my last LDS experience, nobody touches my regs but me.

I tend to service them... Well... As if my life depends on it. :54:

Just wondering whether when you service it yourself, do you actually have a ultrasonic cleaner to clean it up 1st?

Anywhere to get a cheap ultrasonic cleaner?

You can use an ultrasonic cleaner - it's really best, but arguably not necessary. Many use a simple toothbrush.

Edmund Scientific has inexpensive ultrasonic cleaners starting at around $30. Be careful on Ebay...

I am trained on Apeks regs. If you have the tools, the know-how, and the parts servicing these regs is pretty easy.

While I am quite willing to say that a lot of people are capable of servicing their own regs, their are probably just as many who have no business opening a reg.

Ultrasonic cleaner is not required, but it can definately do a very good job. I don't have one at home, but the shop does. I tend to use simple green a toothbrush and really hot water to clean my parts.

I see. Thanks for the information. I was thinking about learning how to service my own Aqualung Costeau and Micra Adj. Learn more about my own equipment and also save some cash from servicing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom