apeks regulator overhaul and parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm one of those people who think that the LDSes are robbing people.

I think that they need to make money, but not the way a lot of them are trying to do it.

BTW, I own a retail store - not a dive shop, but a retail store. I make money, and I can assure you that I don't have to rob anyone to do it.

More on that some other time... Yes, the shops need to make money, and they need to do it on every (or at least nearly every) thing they sell - including the labor, service, or other intangibles.

That said, I don't visit my LDS. They're a ripoff. I travel 4 hours to go to the right shop - who offers me expertise, excellence, and the right products. And I don't mind paying for it... My buddy and I have probably spent upwards of $10k in the past 12 months on scuba gear, vacations, trips, boat rides, and the like.

...And of that, my LDS has gotten $60 - which frankly, I regret. I told them so, too... And they offered no resolution. So... My money continues to go elsewhere.

I would not let that shop touch my regs.

Laser:
Don't know.....I'm happy. Maybe he bites it on servicing to get other sales. I just know what he charged me. He posted it to TDS a while back and I got a flyer in the mail as well about the reg servicing do I decided to give it a try.

Tim

Oh another Plug for Abyss - all regs are returned O2 clean, definately catering to the tech crowd.

netmage:
Oh another Plug for Abyss - all regs are returned O2 clean, definately catering to the tech crowd.
That's downright cool.

I Like Abyss, they seem to have good products and they treat dive pro's well with pricing. The last 7 tanks I have bought, have been through them. I also have bought a lot of parts and accessories through them.

Their backplates look nice, but I don't know of anyone diving them.

I recently picked up a few Apeks first kits and a couple of second stage kits on eBay. The firsts were $22, the seconds were $20, shipping for all 5 was $6. I'm set for a while :)

One of my nearer LDSes I wouldn't trust with a toilet brush, another is possibly OK. The dude at the first place replaces any obviously damaged parts IF HE HAS THEM, then puts it back together, grunge and all. All his o-rings are Buna-N, so you'd better not take your high PO2 first in there. Ultrasonic? Simple Green? Not at *his* shop. Most of the others I've looked in on had dirty work surfaces, and I'll be darned if I'd get it back filthier than it started out.

Every single time I rented gear on a vacation, I had problems with the firsts, seconds or BC inflators. All of the operators did their own work, and shoddily. With a success story like that, I can hardly do worse on my own. After all, it's MY life I'm concerned with. Can ya guess I take all of my gear on vacation now? And yes, I have most of Vince's books. Good stuff. If you look around really hard, you can find quite a few of the manufacturer's service manuals for various regs. I did.

Side note: if you hit up your local metalworking supplier, you'll find a new product called Crystal Simple Green. It's your old favorite *without* the coloring and fragrance. For some funny reason, they only sell it in industrial supply stores and some metal shops. If you're doing O2 work, it's not a hard choice to lose the worthless extra chemicals. My favorite shop sells it in 24oz spray bottles, just like the home variety.
http://www.simplegreen.com/products/industrial/product2.html

Laser:
I sent Apeks regs to Abyss for servicing. $34.95 . Granted there was the shipping cost ( $ 6.00 UPS ), but compared to local dealers it was a steal. Got them back in less than two weeks which is what some local shops indicated they would have them for.
Dove the regs and they are right on. Definitely would recommend.
www.abysmal.com
He's in transition to a new store from what I understand, so there may be a bit of time before he's back up with the service.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or I'm not trying to badmouth Abysmal, but the way I read their service procedures. They bench test, take the reg apart, clean it, and if the parts look worn out, then they'll replace them. They don't neccessarily replace everything with a new kit. This is just my take on what I was reading.
Abysmal Reg Service
I know that there is a lot of discussion on whether or not everything needs replacing but personally, I want a new rebuild kit in my regs if I take them down.

SeaJay:
...Yeah, and that's IF you can find a supplier.

...And if you do find a supplier, then they've got to add $10 to the kit to make it worthwhile to retail.

End result is about $22 for the second stage kits, and $33 for the firsts.

...So yes, getting kits into the hands of the consumer really IS that expensive. The prices you quote above are to the dealer, no?

I pay right around $15 a stage for Apex and between $12-$20 for ScubaPro...........depending on whether it's a first or second stage. I haven't yet found a good source for Poseidons...........so if anyone has one :crafty:

Lead_carrier:
I'm not trying to start a flame war or I'm not trying to badmouth Abysmal, but the way I read their service procedures. They bench test, take the reg apart, clean it, and if the parts look worn out, then they'll replace them. They don't neccessarily replace everything with a new kit. This is just my take on what I was reading.
Abysmal Reg Service
I know that there is a lot of discussion on whether or not everything needs replacing but personally, I want a new rebuild kit in my regs if I take them down.
This is all moot now - Abysmal closed its doors in May. Rumour has it they're coming back in January as Abyss, but whether they will restart this service is unknown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom