Apeks XTX 200 first stage DIN valve air filter question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kreef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went and did something very stupid the other day, I thought it would be a good idea to take a q-tip and wipe the inside of my Apeks XTX 200 first stage (DIN valve) the part which is covered by the dust cap :facepalm:

Afterwards I looked down the inlet and saw a single strand of cotton hanging around, which I couldn't remove since the inlet is too narrow for anything to reach the strand.

I was just wondering is there an air filter which will catch the cotton strand before it goes into the innards of the first stage next time I hook it up to a cylinder.

Assuming I'm understanding you properly, no, it can't get into 1st stage as filter is not open at other end. I'm surprised you get get it out though. Try using a needle or similar, wet the end of it, it should catch the cotton. You could also try blowing it out using compressed air like that used on computers. Easiest way would be to remove the centre piece using a 6mm hex key, then you could blow from the other side or remove the filter completely. If you're not comfortable taking it apart take it into a shop it would take less than a few minutes to do. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply buddhasummer, I'm glad to hear there is a filter so the strand shouldn't cause any major problems as it's really small.

Thanks for the reply buddhasummer, I'm glad to hear there is a filter so the strand shouldn't cause any major problems as it's really small.

No, it shouldn't cause you any problems and won't damage the 1st stage. But of course it shouldn't be in there so if you can get it out do so.

This incident reminds me of the old children's song about an old woman who swallowed a fly, who swallowed a spider to catch the fly - perhaps you'll die.

That said, your reg inlet should have what is known as a sintered filter in it. The purpose is to catch stuff from going into the reg from the cylinder. Or in your case from yer not so handy handiwork :). If you decide to remove the DIN assembly do note that they typically have a specific torque requirement. Around 45 ft-lbs.

Now the bigger question is why did you feel a need to clean ? If gunked up then what was the cause? I have seen bad fills result in sludge from a cylinder. As such, you might want to worry about the cause.

Back
Top Bottom