Apeks XTX Series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanked Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just concluded several months of decision making about the new Apeks XTX vs. ATX vs. TX lines. I previously posted this in the middle of a non-dir regulator thread, but think it would have been nice to find someone's opinion in the DIR forum when I was researching this for myself. Here's what I found:

I just got a pair of the XTX100's a couple of weeks ago, for my first-ever doubles rig. I have about 15 dives on the new XTX100's, with 10 of them around 100 feet in local quarries, FL springs, and offshore on the Mighty 'O'. Performance is exceptional.

First Stage: I like the elimination of the 1/2" port, in favor of all at 3/8", but this was not a deal breaker for me either way. I wanted to have the same first stage for both posts on my doubles. I prefer the breathing performance from the FST (packaged with the 100 series) over the DS4 (packaged with the 50 series) for backgas. Personally, I didn't think the FSR (packaged with the 200 series) was worth the increased pricetag. YMMV

Second Stage: The reversible hose feature of the XTX series was of dubious value to me, as was the racheting venturi lever. I like the reg size of the ATX series (smaller, lighter), but favor the exhaust port size of the TX series (larger, better bubble dispertion) for my primary 2nd stage. So I really like the swapable exhaust ports for the XTX series, which allows me both large and small exhaust ports, keeping the same 1st and 2nd stages from both posts. I configured my primary reg to use the larger exhaust port to better direct bubbles away from my mask, and backup reg to use the smaller exhaust port, so I have a smaller backup hanging from my bungie.

Conclusion: I spent several months weighing all of these factors, and even waited 2 months for the XTX series to become commercially available. Now that I've dove the XTX100/FST regs, I love them, and their exhaust port flexibility. It was worth the wait to get the exact regs I wanted, considering that I'll be diving these regs for a very, very long time.

Best,
Mike

BTW - since both XTX100's came with free Apeks Egresses (which I don't use, of course), I have them for sale, if anyone's interested :mooner:

I know a few people who love their XTX200s, so would imagine that the XTX100 would be quite similar. Glad you're enjoying your 100s! :)

I'm going to be stuck with my DiveRite/Salvo regs for a while until I can afford some nicer regs. Then again they're decent breathers, so I'll be happy for a while I suppose.

Tanked Monkey:
I prefer the breathing performance from the FST (packaged with the 100 series) over the DS4 (packaged with the 50 series) for backgas.

Is this first stage different? I have not seen this one, but previous designs (DS1, DS4, DST, ATX100 and ATX200) were identical inside. (except for a replaceable high pressure seat in the ATX200).
An Apeks representative told me they just made new first stages because the market asked for it, not because they had anything to improve performance wise...

Reinoud:
Is this first stage different? I have not seen this one, but previous designs (DS1, DS4, DST, ATX100 and ATX200) were identical inside. (except for a replaceable high pressure seat in the ATX200).
An Apeks representative told me they just made new first stages because the market asked for it, not because they had anything to improve performance wise...

If you are deciding on which Apeks first stage to use for backgas, the difference is in the hose routing - not a huge concern when diving with steel doubles but a concern with AL80 doubles. DS4 hose routing is awkward and not nearly as nice as FST/FSR routing on AL80 doubles (I prefer the FST). Imho, DST is pointless for backgas but nice for deco bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom