Apeks XTX50 adjustable cracking control question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Aoo,

Please take the comments above with a grain of salt - I do not believe that the information is correct. I had a problem with a newly serviced ATX40 occy free-flowing and turning the knob (where the cracking resistance knob on the ATX50 is) with a hex key did not fix the problem.

The correct way to fix the problem is to disconnect the second stage from the hose using two sets of pliers or wrenches and then adjusting the hex screw INSIDE the connection to the second stage's hose. Turning the screw 5 or 10 degrees (tiny tiny amount) will stop the free-flow.

Sucnip,

Obviously, in your case, the adjustable crown was not properly set when it was serviced. But, I do not understand why you (or anyone else) would want to send a person who is obviously inexperienced with basic adjustments into the second stage to do a crown adjustment. Also, I cringe at the thought of your advice to use "2 sets of pliers" on the brass second stage connections.

Just to add my 2c to the discussion, the procedure to test an apeks second stage is very well described in the service manual at page 15.

http://www.frogkick.nl/files/apeks_tweede_trap_service_manual.pdf

Excerpt:
Turn the second stage adjustment screw completely out counter-clockwise, and set the venturi lever to the "MIN" position (see Fig. X).
Connect the first stage to a filtered air source of 3,000 psi.
Turn the second stage adjustment screw exactly one full turn (360º) clockwise. 5. Slowly open the air supply valve to fully pressurize the regulator.
When no airflow can be heard after the regulator has been pressurized, slowly depress the purge button to verify whether a strong airflow can be initiated when the button has traveled no more than 2mm
Depress the purge button sharply several times to ensure that leakage or freeflow does not occur.
Move the venturi lever to the "MAX" position and depress the purge button sharply. This should initiate a strong, continuous freeflow that can be eliminated by turning the venturi lever back to the "MIN" position.
To test the setting of the seat crown, turn the second stage adjustment screw completely out counter-clockwise to initiate a slight flow of air, and then slowly turn it back in clockwise to verify that the airflow has stopped completely before it has been turned 1 full turn. If more than 1 turn is required to shut off the airflow.....

I converted to ATX 40s to 50s, took about 15 minutes. It's an easy job assuming you can get the parts. If buying new of course just get the 50s IIRC the parts cost me more than the price diff between a 40 and a 50.

Back
Top Bottom