Apollo bay harbour needs your help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andyblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi is anyone else going to this? I'm going on the 6th and 7th for a bit of fun. Cabins with ensuits are $80 at the caravan park. I have room for 1 or 2 more divers leaving Friday night 17.30 straight from Blackburn via south Melbourne. If you are thinking of going and your on my way your welcome to a free lift down there. (as long as your not a freak!)

There will be a rare opportunity to dive in Apollo Bay Harbour as it is usually banned to divers - see below...

Japanese Kelp has invaded Apollo Bay Harbour. Divers and Snorkelers- we need your help!

The Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) are proposing to flood the Apollo Bay harbour with fresh water nextwinter in the hope of killing off all Japanese Kelp plants and spores. Japanese Kelp is a very serious marine pest and this is the first infestation outside of Port Phillip Bay in mainland Australia. Controlling this infestation is of utmost importance. As such we are looking to reduce the current biomass and potential spore release by hand pulling plants now.
We are putting out a call to any divers/snorkelers that would be willing to volunteer time in the water to hand pull plants and/or boats to ferry collected kelp to shore.
We will provide an air compressor to refill tanks and lunch of course!
Potential dates: 6 and 7th of November and 13th and 14th November.
Can people please respond to my email address luke@beaconecological.com.au
asap with availabilities.
We are looking to confirm diver and boat numbers quickly. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me by email or phone on 0406 113 438.
We feel that given the small size of the Apollo Bay infestation we have a real chance of getting on top of this pest plant and preventing its spread along the coast and throughout mainland Australia.
Warm regards, Luke Hynes

Undaria also sighted at Point Franklin in Point Phillip Bay.
Matt Edmunds form Australian Marine Ecology recently reported an Undaria plant at Point Franklin. Matt removed the (small) plant from the site and hasn’t found any others, but with the Undaria growth season now well and truly underway it is expected that more plants will start showing up. It's quite possible that the Ecklonia dieback that occurred at this site last year may have given Undaria an opportunity to settle in that area. Undaria has not been reported in the Pt Lonsdale and Pt Nepean sections of Port Phillip Heads Marine National Park (nor has any other marine pest), however given the occurrence of Undaria at Pt Franklin and the proximity to the PPH MNP, Parks Victoria is interested in conducting some surveys and possible removal of Undaria at and around the Pt Franklin site. There is also a risk that if Undaria spreads to Port Phillip Heads and possibly even Queenscliff Harbour on the other side that there may be an increased risk of natural dispersal and human-mediated spread outside the bay. The appearance of Undaria at Apollo Bay is a good example of the risk of human mediated spread (most likely through hull fouling).
Parks Victoria is presently working on its collection and removal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom