Apollo Bio fin buckles: replace w Mares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floete

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just about set on buying a pair of Apollo bio split fins. My pals tell me that splits are the greatest thing going for those of us who use inflatable mats to surf ocean waves. They don't use Apollos but given my leg strength and other considerations, the Apollos seem like they're going to be what I need.
But that brings me to the buckle. I seem to recall hearing complaints about the Apollo buckle, that sometimes it'll come undone unexpectedly. Well, this'd freak me out, because once a non-floating fin is off your foot in the surf, you can generally kiss it goodbye.
But I also understand that the Mares ABS buckle will work on the Apollo and that it's a much better buckle. Can anyone confirm this? Is it less likely to spring open than the stock buckle under potentially extreme conditions? Any other suggestions?
Thanks much!

So are you going to be using these for surfing only or diving...?

A few comments on the Mares buckles.

The old pre-ABS Mares buckles also have a tendency to pop open on occasion. With me it always seemed to happen at the most inconvenient time....and not always under extreme conditions (just gently finning along).

Apparently with the installation of the ABS buckles, this no longer happens. I still have the old pre-ABS buckles on mine, so I can't offer any experience on the new ones.

Another issue is the rather bulky profile presented by these buckles (both pre-ABS and the new ones). It is VERY easy to get line (monofilament, dive flag line, lobster trap lines, etc.) snagged on these buckles. If you are only using them for surfing, maybe this isn't an issue.....

One idea would be to look at spring straps, which have been discussed on this board several times. Not sure if the config of the Apollo''s would allow this.

My $0.02.

I have bio fins and have been using them for 2 years with the original staps, no problems and I crank down on them pretty hard because of the big drysuit boot. I have seen at least 10 ABS straps (the pin actually) break.

Good afternoon,
I also use the Bio-fins;however, also have a pair of Tusa Imprex as the bio fins aren't DIR approved (getting ready for next weeks DIR/F class).

Haven't had any problems with the staps on the Bio-fins, I use them every week and I also crank them down pretty good. The Imprex has had one broken. On another issue regarding performance. I (personally speaking) notice a big difference in the split fin. I originally thought it was a marketing gimmick when the split fins were touted but got a pair anyway. There is a measurable difference and it is more than just psychological.

One thing I just thought of is that there have been times where I feel that I have "finned" one of the trout at Gilboa (my weekly waterin' hole) then I read elsewhere here, and realized that it was probably the split fin hitting the other. I find it hard to believe that a fish would allow me to kick it. Just something to think about.

Overall I like them... take it for what its worth and disguard the rest.

Best Regards
Don Costanza

I've had a pair of Biofins for the past 2 and a half years and never have had a problem with the straps. Straps are fine in my opinion. I think they're great fins.

Back
Top Bottom