Appropriateness of "the scuba experience" for spec-needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kellylynn

Registered
Reaction score
Would this be an appropriate activity for a water-loving, special needs (mild/moderate mental retardation) 13 year old? She follows directions, is a decent swimmer, but not the sharpest crayon in the box. She would love this activity, and it says "for all ages and abilities", but I wonder how the instructor would feel about this??? Any suggestions? Also, what age for a typical child would be the appropriate age to start the "scuba experience"? (non-cert shallow resort dives)

As an instructor I'd say two things...
(1) each case must be evaluated on its own merits.
(2) If I were confident that the child could avoid dangerous situations and dangerous behavior, I'd gladly let that child experience Scuba to the extent that is safe and enjoyable for the child.
The only difference in this child and any other student is that I wouldn't be able to make some of the usual assumptions about native cognitive ability in the typical student... but then I don't make many assumptions anyway... :)
Rick

I know there is the Handicap Scuba Association (HSA). I'll send you some contact information for my shop and who to talk to. They should be able to help you with any questions and hopefully put you in contact with someone in your area.

It could very well be an appropriate activity. Does she snorkel yet? The degree of involvement would (as Uncle Ricky said) depend on the child. A key criterion would be her emotional maturity as it relates to safety. You might want to chat with some instructors in your area, find one you’re comfortable with, and ask if they’d consider private, or small group lessons. Probably start with a pool experience and progress to either lessons, or resort dives.

You asked about age. PADI allows 10-year-olds to participate in Discover Scuba in open water (resort dives).

We have had many great days in 2' deep pools.

Close supervision and a lot of attaboys.

Had to slow most of them down and reign them in. In demonstrating the breathing through the second stage, most couldn't piece it together unless we were standing in the water. The minute they sucked the first breath, they universaly immediately flopped down and went underwater. We resolved this with the 2' starting point.

Not the "open water" potential.

One on one, no distractions. Had some games of "find the colored fish" on the bottom.

Well worth it.

My OW instructor who has since moved away used to conduct a special needs class. Students who could follow directions felt great accomplishment in being able to dive under controlled conditions.

As for age it's hard enough making the age call with any child. In this case I'd defer to the instructor but 13 is probably a good age at which to persue the idea.

What you seek is not unheard of, good luck.

Pete

RoatanMan:
We have had many great days in 2' deep pools.

Close supervision and a lot of attaboys.

Had to slow most of them down and reign them in. In demonstrating the breathing through the second stage, most couldn't piece it together unless we were standing in the water. The minute they sucked the first breath, they universaly immediately flopped down and went underwater. We resolved this with the 2' starting point.

Not the "open water" potential.

One on one, no distractions. Had some games of "find the colored fish" on the bottom.

Well worth it.
I can't agree more - the two foot deep "kiddie pool" with a few brightly colored objects can provide a marvelous experience for a child who's never seen it before. It is amazing how much a super-reserved youngster will fairly burst out of his/her shell with the thrill of breathing and seeing under water. And I second the "well worth it."
Rick

Rick, Pete, Doc, Bailey, Knotical... Wow, what a great response pool! I appreciate you all taking your personal time to help out this stranger. I'm bolstered, and I think we'll go for it. Even if my child gets limited to pool time, she will dig it!
Gratefully,
Kelly

best of luck, Kelly

i think this will be a great experience for all involved

Kelly,

Wow. I just want to say I admire the devotion it takes to consider giving your daughter whatever level of scuba diving experience she can handle. Even if she is not a candidate for supervised open water, snorkeling or confined water diving could be very rewarding too.

I met some people in Roatan who are part of an organization called the Handicapped Scuba Association. They train instructors specifically to work with people with a variety of disabilities. Send an email to hsa@hsascuba.com and ask them for an instructor in your area.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom