Approximate Weighting Question - New Gear Since Last Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wondering if anyone can give a guesstimate for my weighting.

Last dive 16kg with the following gear:
Aqualung jacket BCD
7mm Beuchat wetsuit
Aqualung Xshot fins (IIRC)
12L steel tank (unknown manufacturer as it was a rental).

Now bought my own gear and diving at the weekend so wanting to try to work out what I will need for the following:
Scubapro Xtex BP&W
7mm Scubapro IR wetsuit
Mares Xstream fins
12 L tank (guessing the same as the last time as still rental)

My guess would be about 12-13kg - taking the wetsuit as approx the same and taking about 3kg (6lbs) off for the BP&W.

I have lost about 5kg in weight since my last dive as well (just to mess the arithmetic up even more).

In the salty stuff I assume? It is likely that you are very negative, with a steel plate, 7mm wetsuit, and a 17l steel tank I don't need any lead. Going to a 12l shouldn't change that weighting requirement. Granted I have jet fins on which are a bit negative, but 12kg is a LOT of lead, closer to what would be expected in a drysuit with an al80 in a jacket bc...

I should have said that it was in salt water. I should also have said as well that I am about 135kg -6'3 of relaxed muscle (some would say very relaxed). :rofl3:

I ignored gloves/hood/booties as I reckoned they are all pretty equivalent and would have a minimal effect.

So you reckon on very little lead being needed based on my new gear? Would be great if that is so.

I would try a calculator but there are very few that give accurate amounts for BP&W set ups.

you're a bit heavier than i am, but not by much. I'm about 125kg and the same height, though certainly not very relaxed. If you're bioprene is thicker you will need some lead, but I can't imagine it would be more than 4-6kg. Could be wrong, don't know you, but I'd do a proper weight check when you get everything.

I am planning on a proper weight check but was just looking to get somewhere in the vicinity of the right weight.

I think a little ditchable weight is probably not a bad thing anyway especially at this point in my diving. Just looking to avoid being too overweighted.

I dive in Salt and cold water of Melbourne,Australia. Weight around 100kg, 175cm. with wet suit and 12.2L steel tank, i have 8kg. dry suit and same tank, i have 11kg. so i think you are way over weight. it does not affect you now but as you go deeper eventually, it will create big problem i.e gas management, uncontrolled accent, etc
and wearing all the gear + the weight and have to walk to the end of the pier ( usually 1km) and jump off, it will make you feel like you just squat 100kg

Back
Top Bottom