April 10/11 ... Annapolis/Sea Dragon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was up in Vancouver yesterday working on the Annapolis and found out that Sea Dragon has a new (to them) boat. Looks like a very nice boat with a roomy, enclosed back end. Ideal for northwest conditions.

Anyway, I'll be back up on the Annapolis on April 10th ... and trying to put together a group to dive off the Sea Dragon on the 11th. Would love it if some of you locals could come out and join in the fun.

For that matter, if any of y'all want to join us on the 10th, Howie is planning a major extraction of materials off the ship. We spend yesterday dismantling a great deal of equipment from the boiler room ... cutting pipes, removing valves and motors, and hoisting everything up to the Burma Road deck, then back to the rear of the ship for sorting. Grueling work ... but rewarding in its own way.

If anyone wants to help out on the 10th, or dive on the 11th, drop me a line. Would really enjoy hooking up with y'all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Can't make it for the 10/11th weekend but I will be coming back from Port Hardy around the 1st of May. If I can fit it in I'll be out on the Annapolis then.

That would be great, Brian. They want to get it down this summer, and there's still a great deal to be done.

It's amazing how much work goes into these ships before they can be dropped.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

<snip>

For that matter, if any of y'all want to join us on the 10th, Howie is planning a major extraction of materials off the ship. We spend yesterday dismantling a great deal of equipment from the boiler room ... cutting pipes, removing valves and motors, and hoisting everything up to the Burma Road deck, then back to the rear of the ship for sorting. Grueling work ... but rewarding in its own way.

<snip>

This actually sounds kind of interesting! I hadn't heard of the Annapolis or Sea Dragon until now and a quick Google states the Sea Dragon is located at Horseshoe Bay. Is the Annapolis nearby, I'm guessing?

Anything special required for this type of work? Clothes-wise or otherwise? I have a massage scheduled for 11 but might be able to change it...

That would be great, Brian. They want to get it down this summer, and there's still a great deal to be done.

It's amazing how much work goes into these ships before they can be dropped.

Indeed. Howie gave a presentation at our Divescapes show last October (kinda like BTS, Tacoma, etc, but with much, much fewer numbers) which was wonderful and illuminating on what goes into getting these things down.

At Divescapes he told me that the next time I was down that way to give him a call so he could arrange for a tour and I fully intend to follow up on that invite.

He also told me to bring workclothes and to be prepared to be out there all day since the shuttle only runs out in the morning and back in the avro. Given all the entertainment the other ARSBC projects have given me over the years, one day of labour is a very small price to pay.

I hadn't heard of the Annapolis or Sea Dragon until now and a quick Google states the Sea Dragon is located at Horseshoe Bay. Is the Annapolis nearby, I'm guessing?
Just to be clear, the Sea Dragon is a charter dive boat based out of Horseshoe bay, not a wreck! Although now that they have a new boat I'm not sure if it's still called the Sea Dragon.

The Annapolis is an old destroyer that they're intending to sink soon as an artificial reef.

Just to be clear, the Sea Dragon is a charter dive boat based out of Horseshoe bay, not a wreck! Although now that they have a new boat I'm not sure if it's still called the Sea Dragon.

The Annapolis is an old destroyer that they're intending to sink soon as an artificial reef.
Yes, I got that from my Google search. :wink:

Anyway, I'll be back up on the Annapolis on April 10th ... and trying to put together a group to dive off the Sea Dragon on the 11th. Would love it if some of you locals could come out and join in the fun.

I may be interested on the dive on the 11th ... can you send me a PM when/if you get it arranged?

... We spend yesterday dismantling a great deal of equipment from the boiler room ... cutting pipes, removing valves and motors, and hoisting everything up to the Burma Road deck, then back to the rear of the ship for sorting. Grueling work ... but rewarding in its own way.

Thanks for moving all that stuff! It was getting kinda crowded down there on under the stairs. :wink: It'll be nice to have our dumping ground all clear again :dork2:

This actually sounds kind of interesting! I hadn't heard of the Annapolis or Sea Dragon until now and a quick Google states the Sea Dragon is located at Horseshoe Bay. Is the Annapolis nearby, I'm guessing?

Anything special required for this type of work? Clothes-wise or otherwise? I have a massage scheduled for 11 but might be able to change it...

The Annapolis is anchored in one of the bays of Gambier Island - pretty close to Horseshoe Bay.

If you're interested in helping out, I can send you the email of the person you should talk too. They go out (virtually) everyweekend, both days, and sometimes during the week.

Any tools you can bring will be helpful - though they have said they'll take you if you only have a multi-bit screwdriver with most of the bits missing. Mostly I've found wrenches, socket sets, a couple of screwdrivers (mostly flathead) to be teh most used tools in my kit. A hammer can also come in pretty handy ... Some places I've had to break off an 1/8" of paint to get the socket to fit.

Hope this helps!

Let me start off by stating that I'm just a laborer on this project ... I don't presume to speak for Howie or anyone else at the ARSBC. However, I will describe what I've experienced, for those who are interested.

The typical workday on the Annapolis involves a pickup at the dock in Horseshoe Bay. We like to be on the boat and ready to leave around 8 AM. Some of us usually get there at 7 and have breakfast at The Troll before we take off.

Things to bring ... clothes, gloves and boots suitable for dirty labor, something for lunch, and any tools that will be useful for the work we're doing. Such tools include power drills, sawsall, hand tools ... particularly large socket sets and hand wrenches (3/4 to 1-1/4 were in use on Saturday), and a headlamp or flashlight. Also helpful may be a hard hat (they have some extras on the ship), eye protection, and hand sanitizer or premoistened wipes to clean up a bit for lunch or at the end of the day.

This is often heavy, dirty work ... so comfortable clothes you don't mind getting really dirty in are a must. Coveralls, if you have them, can be ideal. The work itself varies, depending on what needs to be done ... stripping insulation off the ceiling, removing pipes, ducting, wiring, etc, using wrenches to remove valves and motors, lifting and carrying anything from copper pipes to said valves and motors ... some of which requires winches and hand trucks to move. Boiler room work like we were doing on Saturday is really dirty ... we came out covered in grime. So a clean set of clothes to change into afterward is really recommended.

Work days run from the time we arrive at the ship (between 8:30 and 9) till around noon when we take a lunch break. Then back at it until 3:30 to 4 PM, when the boat will shuttle us back to Horseshoe Bay.

You can get more information about the project ... or contact Howie, Doug, or Diedre directly ... at the ARSBC website. Howie mentioned to me that he's going to try for a major extraction of material from the wreck on the 10th ... which means he needs a LOT of willing helpers.

Come prepared for a day of hard, but very satisfying labor ... and when the ship is down the reward is going to be able to feel like you contributed something important for the whole dive community. Everyone is welcome ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I may be interested on the dive on the 11th ... can you send me a PM when/if you get it arranged?

Howdy sunkmail ... there are at least three of us from my dive club already committed. I'm going to be posting a notice this evening to see if I can get more recruits for the week-end ... but the charter is definitely arranged.

The charter is $99 CAD for a two-tank dive ... I doubt we'll know what sites we'll be doing until we see what the weather brings ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom