Aqaba / Red Sea in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flowerpecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend and I are considering a trip to Jordan in the middle of Feb 06, and would like to dive in Aqaba for a few days. Can anyone give me an idea of the diving conditions at that time of year? Also, do any liveaboards operate out of Aqaba?

Depending on whether there are storm fronts, it can be a LOT colder than you'd expect. And, if so, many of the larger animals flee south.

Most of the liveaboards are further south, in Egypt.

Conditions vary. I was there in March. We used the Royal Diving Centre. When it was very choppy we just went diving right at Royal Diving.

Thanks for the info so far, Desert Eagle and rpodos.

We were thinking of diving the Red Sed on this trip, but want to go someplace where we can also participate in non-diving activities - trekking, nature reserves, ruins, etc. - without needing to use guided tour operators. Jordan sounded like just the ticket, but I'm wondering now it it might still be a little too cool for what we want to do. Any thoughts on Jordan vs. Egypt for this type of trip?

I've been diving in Aqaba last veek! It was wonderfull (see http://dive.fuzik.sk)! I recommened you the Arab divers! But there are 7 divecenters in Aqaba! Dives were all shore dives 'cos the reefs are right on the beach (don't need to go with boat).
Out of water activities?
I can recommened you Jordan too! I have visited the Death Sea, Petra (a town carved from stones), but you can also visit Amman(capital), Jerash and they recommend you the Wadi Rum (desert with nice stones, you can watch the sunset in desert or even sleep there with beduins).
I've been also in Egypt (in 2002), in Hurghada. There are always boat dives (but that time it was cheaper then now in Jordan - now I don't know how the prices are). In Egypt I visited Luxor and Cairo (pyramids included). The trip to Cairo was a lilte long but I can recommend it too! I don't know how Egypt changes during last 3 years, but I liked it too.

I think that both (jordan/egypt) has pros/cons (in dive/non dive). It up to you!

I also forgot to say that the divemaster said that in winter the water has 21 celsius. I don't know the temperature of air in february but the water is enought warm for me (17 degrees in my country during summer:))

Back
Top Bottom