Aqua Lung & Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schu1842

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm still considering which regulator to buy. I've read here and elsewhere that the Aqua Lung Legend is an Apeks designed reg. Which model of Apeks would be the mosy similar to the Aqua Lung Legend series and is there a price advantage either way? Thanks for the help.

The Legend first stage is actually designed by Aqualung, but the dry chamber technology comes from Apeks. It is most comparable with the ATX200 first stage. It also features an air passage similar to what Mares uses in their top regs.

Personally I think the key difference is in the second stage: the Apeks breathes IMO very wet and I prefer the Legend for that reason.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

yea........ thanks to that chrom plate they put in the second stage to retain heat, but thats in favor of some other divers.
u cant realli put them side by side and point which one is a better buy, because however similar, they have different designs. One of the biggest different is the dry seal feature of the apeks, another is that apeks has an overbalance design that increases airflow as depth increases instead of maintaining it. Generally speaking apeks are more expensive than the legend series though not by much. The confusion is probably caused by the fact that they 2 are just different branches of the same company.

I'm not following you: what chrome plate? The Legend has the same dry seal as Apeks and is also overbalanced.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

My Legend cost me a few more bucks (not much) than the Apeks ATX- 200. The reg breathes very well at all depths but really shines below 100'. You'd swear you were breathing air at ATA 1 while deep.

I've tried my Legend 2nd stages on a Apeks DS4 first stage. Works well but not nearly as with the Legend first stage. Also breathes very dry. Try them both before buying, if you can.

Also the silly looking lip guard on the Legend LX Supreme is awesome. Without the guard in place while diving in 35 degree F water with air temperature of about 14, your lips go numb with the cold. With the guard in place it feels kind of weird but no more numb lips. Toasty warm.

I own both a Legend LX and an ATX200. I think the Legend LX was just abit more expensive. I've said this before, I personally think they're both great regs and breath very much alike, and even though some people feel that the Legend breaths drier, I can't honestly say that I've ever noticed a difference. Both regs have always breathed dry for me. IMO you couldn't go wrong with either.

Haven't tried the Apex. But I can say that I absolutely love my Legend LX. If I didn't know better I'd say it's easier than breathing on the surface!

- PolsVoice.

There are a couple of slight differences between the two. I guess the Aqualung is a little different because you can choose the supreme for cold water and just the LX for warm water. One thing that I know would influence by choosing between the two is the long term cost. that's right. Service. The labour would be the same, but all I have to say is that I know that I will never have to pay for parts on my apeks... :)

Hint for you: Aqualung has the same lifetime warranty on service kits just like Apeks...

thanks for the tip. didn't know. I just knew they were expensive as anything . i gues if you are out of warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom