Aqua-lung Calypso VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nallts

Reaction score
Anyone know if service kits are still available for the Aqua-lung Calypso VI. I have a couple of sets that are still work good that I was wanting to keep for back ups, and took them to the LDS for a rebuild and was told parts were not availabe anymore. Just wanting to check and see if they were trying to BS me to try to get me to buy another new set of regs from them or if it was true.

The Calypso VI is a very basic piston design and the second stage parts are fairly generic. I can check for you this weekend though on the availability of first stage parts and to be sure about the availability of second stage parts.

I also vaugely remember a recall of the Calypso in the late 70's or early 80's, mostly because of the concern at the time that it could fail closed (a major rarity in reg failures) and partially because it confirmed the belief at the time that quality control at USD pretty much sucked - it was a bleak time in their history and they had a reputation for generally poor quality during that period.

I don't remember the specifics of the recall or the fix, just that it was a big deal at the time and warranted a lot of critical comments at the local dive shop (a Scubapro dealer).

DA Aquamaster:
The Calypso VI is a very basic piston design and the second stage parts are fairly generic. I can check for you this weekend though on the availability of first stage parts and to be sure about the availability of second stage parts.

I also vaugely remember a recall of the Calypso in the late 70's or early 80's, mostly because of the concern at the time that it could fail closed (a major rarity in reg failures) and partially because it confirmed the belief at the time that quality control at USD pretty much sucked - it was a bleak time in their history and they had a reputation for generally poor quality during that period.

I don't remember the specifics of the recall or the fix, just that it was a big deal at the time and warranted a lot of critical comments at the local dive shop (a Scubapro dealer).

Hi,
What do you mean by "fail closed". Is it having no air or a shut down of air from the second stage. Becuse I had an experience before using the Calypso 6 during the '80s. I had no air coming out of my reg down at 85 ft. of water. I had to do a free accent with my speargun and catch. but luckily I survived the accent though preety shaken up. I thought that it was a shut down of the tank valve. But having closely monitoring my gauge I supposed to still have more than 1000psi left. Well I really don't know what happened. but that was my only experience in out of air situation in all of my diving yrs. Praise the Lord. Hope it doesn't happen again :dazzler1:

JimmyT.

Thanks for the info. I bought the regs second hand so am not shure if they were part of the recall or had any work done on them for the recall. If anyone remembers more about the recall or how to tell which regs were affected or how to tell if they have had the recall performed let me know. The regs have always worked good but if I can't find out more about the recall maybe I should just get another new set.

Normally, the only way for a piston first stage to fail closed and stop delivering air is for the mainspring to break and these tend to be pretty heavy duty springs. Second stages can fail closed if the lever movement is impeded due to mechanical failure, dirt, ice formation, etc and this is a much more common cause of a failure to deliver air. Second stage failures are more common but also less serious as the octo will still continue to work, which is not the case in a first stage failure.

I have no idea what the problem was with the Calpso VI, but I'll check the service manuals at the shop on Saturday and see what I can find.

Did this recall cover other early Calypso first stages or just the VI?
I have a Calypso III that I might use someday.

Sorry about reviving such an old thread but it seams to me that makes more sense than starting yet another one.

Way I read that, the recall only covers the cover retaining ring for the 2nd stage.
I read here some where on Scubaboard there was a first stage proablem.

Found a mention here, but it doesn’t provide much information.
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/SB79-4.pdf

And note that they both mention the IV in the text, not the VI. One includes VI in the title, so they're already ambiguous.

just wanna be sure before i put anything together - the malfunctions/recall was only on the 1st stages for the Calypso J and Calypso 4 models is my understanding.

I just bought only the 2nd stage of a used Calypso VI and am planning on purchasing a Conshelf 21 1st stage to use as a yoke backup/teaching reg set.

My understanding on the US Divers 2nd Stages Conshelf and Calypso's is that they aren't the greatest to breathe on (got 2 Apeks XTX50's for that), but you can beat the sh*t out of them and they still work great - which is why I believe USN Dive school still uses them. And I also understand they are simple to repair.

Obviously like everyone else out there, I'd rather not dive a reg that will catastrophically fail in the closed position. Especially when most of our stuff off Pensacola goes right up to the 140ft recreational limits.

Any reconfirmation or new/different information on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

-WM

Back
Top Bottom