Aqua Lung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BClendening

Contributor
Reaction score
This is an odd question, but here it is. Is Aqua Lung viewed as one of those 'elitist' companies? Reading around here, it seems a lot of people prefer other companies over Aqua Lung, I didn't see them listed under the company section here, I haven't seen many online stores that carry their products. Could be that I haven't seen many stores also.

In reality, it probably doesn't matter. The local shop mainly caries Aqua Lung products, so it makes sense for me to buy from them, being they're and authorized dealer and can service their products or handle warranty issues. But what happens when I move away in a year? (if I even buy gear that soon, I have yet to get certified) I am new to diving, obviously, but is Aqua Lung a company that has lost sight of it's original purpose? I know I have personally quit using some companies as far as outdoor equipment goes due to the fact that they appear to be more stylish and the name than their original purpose, therefore their gear tends to be of lesser quality and more towards the newer trends.

Just a random thought I had since I'm going to probably go this week and get setup with everything for my class and as far as locally goes, Aqua Lung is about my only option.

have you seen Apeks & SeaQuest around?
they're both Aqualung subsidiaries

I have been diving with AquaLung products for a handful of years now with absolutely no regrets. The dive shop that I frequent sells AquaLung products so it made sense to buy their equipment for the same reasons that you mentioned. I have seen product reviews in online SCUBA magazines that have rated many of AquaLung's products very highly, and through my own use I agree with them completely.

Several of my friends and I all dive with the Legend regulator. It has proven to be a very reliable reg. even at fairly significant depths.

I have never heard anyone refer to AquaLung as "elitist" or "trendy." In my opinion, they make some pretty good products.

Read some reviews, ask around for more opinions, and try a few different brands before you make such an important purchase.

have you seen Apeks & SeaQuest around?
they're both Aqualung subsidiaries

I have seen those, I meant to mention that in my post but forgot.

I can't say that I have any reason to doubt Aqua Lung, it was just a question I had while sitting here bored at work. I'd hate to put my life on the line with equipment companies that have lost the true soul in what they do.

may i ask what type of equipment exactly are you considering? reg? BCD? masks? fins? etc.

Aqualung still makes very good equipment but they do, IMO have an attitude that is hurting them. The reason you don't see them listed in on line stores or here for that matter is they are sticking to the old "you must buy from an authorized deal" protection racket. They will not allow their dealer do sell online or sell parts to customers and keep very tight control of their dealers. Same applies to Scubapro. With other brands allowing on line sales and allowing customers to purchase parts, AL is cutting it's own throat, pitty to because they do still make a good product.

This is an odd question, but here it is. Is Aqua Lung viewed as one of those 'elitist' companies? Reading around here, it seems a lot of people prefer other companies over Aqua Lung, I didn't see them listed under the company section here, I haven't seen many online stores that carry their products. Could be that I haven't seen many stores also.

In reality, it probably doesn't matter. The local shop mainly caries Aqua Lung products, so it makes sense for me to buy from them, being they're and authorized dealer and can service their products or handle warranty issues. But what happens when I move away in a year? (if I even buy gear that soon, I have yet to get certified) I am new to diving, obviously, but is Aqua Lung a company that has lost sight of it's original purpose? I know I have personally quit using some companies as far as outdoor equipment goes due to the fact that they appear to be more stylish and the name than their original purpose, therefore their gear tends to be of lesser quality and more towards the newer trends.

Just a random thought I had since I'm going to probably go this week and get setup with everything for my class and as far as locally goes, Aqua Lung is about my only option.

Aqua Lung and its subsidiaries make some of the finest equipment on the market today. Thier regulators are leaders of the pack. Not a single product they make is 2nd rate. They provide consumers with some of the best customer service around when products are purchased from authorized dealers. Thier R/D department is huge and they are always working on new things. They are one of the few companies that actually manufacture thier own products. With factories in England, France, Italy, Mexico etc everything is under thier control.

Purchasing from an authorized dealer will provide you with quality service, excellent selection, great warranties, and equipment that you will be happy with for many years to come.

Yes I am an Aqualung dealer and NO we dont sell it online. But as a dealer I have a choice in what I sell. We chose this line over others because of all the reasons I stated. Go get some good gear and have fun.

Cheers

Aqua Lung and its subsidiaries make some of the finest equipment on the market today. Thier regulators are leaders of the pack. Not a single product they make is 2nd rate. They provide consumers with some of the best customer service around when products are purchased from authorized dealers. Thier R/D department is huge and they are always working on new things. They are one of the few companies that actually manufacture thier own products. With factories in England, France, Italy, Mexico etc everything is under thier control.

Purchasing from an authorized dealer will provide you with quality service, excellent selection, great warranties, and equipment that you will be happy with for many years to come.

Yes I am an Aqualung dealer and NO we dont sell it online. But as a dealer I have a choice in what I sell. We chose this line over others because of all the reasons I stated. Go get some good gear and have fun.

Cheers

Some great info! Thanks, it's always nice to see companies still producing their own products rather than outsourcing it and stamping their label on it.

Aqua Lung and Scubapro are all that I dive. Good stuff!

Is Aqua Lung viewed as one of those 'elitist' companies?

In many folks opinion, Aqualung seems to act that way. That they are "elitist". They seem to think they are a notch above anyone else they compete with.

but they made a very good regulator.

Reading around here, it seems a lot of people prefer other companies over Aqua Lung,

that's because people don't like that above referenced attitude and don't like the politics of the company and how it treats its dealers.

I didn't see them listed under the company section here

I doubt you will. They don't like the message that a lot of scubaboard has to send that says you shouldn't have to pay full list price for dive shop products. AL doesn't allow much in discounting of price and has strict daler controls.

I haven't seen many online stores that carry their products.

officialy AL doesn't allow online sales (in the US). But certain online shops always seem to have the AL gear before the regular shops do.... so it's speculated very much that this gear comes directly from Aqualung to these shops. This adds more tension to the mix of the above noted price controls, dealer controls, etc, when they are shipping direct to key online stores yet telling their dealers a different song and dance.

The local shop mainly caries Aqua Lung products, so it makes sense for me to buy from them, being they're and authorized dealer and can service their products or handle warranty issues.

You'll be fine buying their gear.... they make good quality regulators. I don't think that even though some people don't like the politics of the company, they still don't have a reason to knock their gear for quality. they might not like the style of one of their BC's, but that's just personal preference.

is Aqua Lung a company that has lost sight of it's original purpose?

depends on what you define that purpose to be.... I think AL purpose is to trying be controlling of it's dealers and line its pockets with products priced much higher than other countries. seems to be working for them....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom