Aquaflite or Liquid Fit...opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtdivegirl

Contributor
Reaction score
Today, after suggestions from some of you other large women divers, I went to my LDS to try on the one rental suit they have that was bigger than XL.. it was a man's xxl and sadly it did not fit. Normally, this probably wouldn't even phase me but as soon as I walked out of the dive shop i completely broke down. I had informed the LDS of my size before signing up for the class, and been assured they could accomodate me.
There are no other dive shops around and the temp for my open water cert dives would be too cold without a wetsuit. I am now forced to go and buy a custom suit.
I am curious how much some of you have spent on suits. I am a women's size 24 in regular clothes, I need a 7mm or a 6.5 mm suit and I was also wondering if any of you have strong opinions about one company over the other?

I have heard good things and am considering ordering from them. I got a quote For a 7mm farmer john under $400 for their best material.

Dave

I got my 6.5 mm and 3mm custom from Aquaflite. Cost was under $400 for the 6.5mm. I really like the suits, the fit is snug and they are warm.
But.. hubby just got a Henderon Hyperstretch 5 mm today and it is just amazing, easy to get into, and so stretchy. It can stretch supposedly 250% in the areas you need it.
A lot of the women on the board say how the Women's XXL (Size 14) can fit sizes up to 22 and 24. I found it is only $ 252.95 for HENDERSON 7/5MM WOMENS TITANIUM HYPERSTRETCH JUMPSUIT on the online store www.leisurepro.com. They have been terrific when we have bought from them- prompt delivery, knowledgeable when I ask questions over the phone. I highly recommend them.
Just some options for you. I had a really hard time fitting into my rental suit for my OW dives (I'm an 18). I could hardly breath because my chest was so compressed and mashed in a man's suit. So, I understand your dilemma. :)
Diana

I have to agree with DaveDog. My family and I have 8 of the Liquid Fit suits. I personally have a skin, a 3 mil, and their new 2 mil stretch every way suit. I wish I could tell you the price - I just don't remember. I have lost 45 pounds since I got my first ones and they altered them for me after I lost the weight and they still fit great.
I can appreciate you frustration! Been there - the only thing I will suggest is that you have someone help you with the measuring to make sure it is correct. It is very easy just has to be as exact as possible - the form looks a little much but it really isn't. If I can answer any questions email me a nauifins73@yahoo.com
Good Luck - Becky

I vote for Liquid Fit, too. I've been happy with them.

However, I think you have a case to go back to the manager / owner of the LDS and point out that you were very clear about your size when you registered, and they said they could accomodate you -- and you would like some help from them.

I know this is very tough -- and I imagine that you might feel like it's your fault for having the body that you have... but remember -- you ARE the customer --- perhaps they can call in a favor with another dive shop or one of their suppliers to get a Men's 3XL or larger for you to try.

And, of course, as I've already told you, you are more than welcome to join Big Adventures on a referral and get your cert in Hawaii where the wet suit won't be a problem. <grin>

Also, if you wanna just chat and commiserate... let me know, we can swap phone numbers if you want.

Liz.

Thank you all for your input and please feel free to keep posting. I am feeling a pull toward liquid fit because 1)its owned by a woman and you all know we gotta stick together and 2) sounds like they truly stand behind their product.
I am curious about the nipple to nipple measurement required..is this enshrined in a bra or commado? and who needs directions to find their crotch..my goodness.. anyhow im pretty easy to entertain and i found that amusing.
Liz, I am curious where you get your wet suits for your big adventure group or do you all just skin dive? Ive heard at depth in even hawaii it can be cold.
It would appear that Liquid Fit is a bit less expensive than some of the others...i looked into Harvey and good lord they want some 700 bucks for a custom made suit based on body weight plus the original suit cost.. seems ridiculous if you ask me.

My first wetsuit was a 2-pc aquaflight 7mm in neon green & purple with zippers everywhere. I was very buoyant but never cold. All in all it was a good suit & fit perfectly. I got it before they offered the skin-in option. I would still have it except it was stolen (so if you see a big lady in green & purple, let me know!)

Would I get one again? I love my hyperstretch, but if I was going to go custom, sure I would. I would omit the zippers as they seemed to add buoyancy, and I would get either a 1-pc or make the farmer jane 5mm & the jacket 7 & 5.

Hey MtDiveGRL --

I was just reviewing this thread when I noticed your question about what wet suits we use for Big Adventures. I think I may have addressed this in a PM but I thought I should post it here as well.

In my experience, the water temps off Maui have ranged from about 73 - 83 degrees. Keeping in mind that new students are usually pretty busy focusing on skills and trying to make everything 'work' -- it seems that they tend to stay reasonably warm -- either from the extraneous movement or from even mild anxiety.

Having said that, I have found that Big Adventure students up to a size 22 or 24 can generally fit into a mens 2XL shorty wetsuit. So some of the students do that. But what I encourage all the students to do so that they have a 'back up' plan is to get a pair of legging used for water aerobics -- usually made out of polyolefin or similar fiber -- they are available from www.Junonia.com under that trade name Quick Wick (might be kwick wick) -- they are slightly heavier than a dive skin -- so they give only the tiniest amount of warmth, but the do protect from abrasions and they can be worn under a wet suit, making it much easier to get the wet suit on. The second part of the 'back up' plan is a light weight neoprene jacket -- available from www.H2Owear.com --it's a 1.5 mm neoprene -- availabe to size 3X and I have seen women who are size 30 or 32 wear the 3x. This combination works well for tropical diving and allows the diver to look and feel very similar to the other wet suited divers.

I did my first 130 dives using that outfit, and I still use it -- though I did recently get a custom 3mm from Liquid Fit.
Another option is a 'shorty snorkle suit' available from www.junonia.com It's not neoprene, but is quite sturdy and thick fabric, so some people do well with that -- You can also layer that over the leggings and under the jacket to give a bit more warmth on a cooler tropical dive.

Hope that helps... and as always, I'm available to chat or email with anyone who has questions about large women and scuba diving

Back
Top Bottom