Aqualung Cousteau LP size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have an aqualung Cousteau first stage decided to change the hose legnth but to my horror I discovered the first stage LP ports on the cousteau look to be 1/2" and not the standard(?) 3/8" consequently the 3/8" hose doesnt fit. What can I do? is there an adaptor I can use? or do I need to find a 1/2" hose? Ive never seen a hose option in sizes.

What size is standard is it 3/8"? Are all aqualung first stages 1/2"? or just the older models like the cousteau?

I tried to find this info on the net with no joy.

Thanks in advance.

Ive just been looking at the "First stage chart" thread and 3 people list the cousteau as having 3/8" LP ports, mine definately has 1/2" LP ports as the 3/8" hose is too small to fit...now Im really confused????

Here is what you need:

1/2" Male to 3/8" Female Regulator Adapter (AA48)

1/2" Male to 3/8" Female Regulator Adapter (AA48) from LeisurePro.com

The adapter will cast you $6.29 at LP.

The ½” LP fitting was one of those ideas that thankfully never caught on. You only find it on some regulators of that time period.

The 3/8” LP fitting is standard. It was the standard before and it is again... actually it has always been the standard, the 1/2" was more like an experiment that was ran by marketing.

AQUHAB.jpg

Here is what you need:

1/2" Male to 3/8" Female Regulator Adapter (AA48)

1/2" Male to 3/8" Female Regulator Adapter (AA48) from LeisurePro.com

The adapter will cast you $6.29 at LP.

The ½” LP fitting was one of those ideas that thankfully never caught on. You only find it on some regulators of that time period.

The 3/8” LP fitting is standard. It was the standard before and it is again... actually it has always been the standard, the 1/2" was more like an experiment that was ran by marketing.

AQUHAB.jpg

Damn those marketing $%$^&

Thanks for that info most helpful, Ill order an adapter.:)

Yes - the idea was that a larger hose would have a larger internal diameter and would improve air flow. It ignored some basic issues such as the internal diameter was not the limiting factor in the system. The larger hoses were also generally speaking heavier and less flexible and the non standard 1/2" hose fitting was a major pain for all involved. So in the end it was a situation where the substantial costs brought no benefits - other than for the marketing types who pushed it as the greatest thing since canned beer - so successfully that several companies went down that dead end street.

It has however created a healthy market for 1/2 LP port adapters.

Yes - the idea was that a larger hose would have a larger internal diameter and would improve air flow. It ignored some basic issues such as the internal diameter was not the limiting factor in the system. The larger hoses were also generally speaking heavier and less flexible and the non standard 1/2" hose fitting was a major pain for all involved. So in the end it was a situation where the substantial costs brought no benefits - other than for the marketing types who pushed it as the greatest thing since canned beer - so successfully that several companies went down that dead end street.

It has however created a healthy market for 1/2 LP port adapters.

Thanks for the additional info, wish Id known that before I bought the cousteau, although no a big deal really Id rather not have to use adapters, guess ill be ordering two adapters...but oh well thems the breaks live and learn...thanks again:)

Back
Top Bottom