Aqualung Dimension I3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Stilletto would be my choice. I have one. It fits well has plenty of lift for a single tank. I like the rip cord system for the integrated weights. It is a back inflate so there is nothing cluttering up the front. It holds the tank firmly in place with 2 tank straps. I use the zeagle LP inflator, it has a butt dump on both left and right. It fits me well both above and below the surface. I certainly have no complaints. If I did it might be that it isn't the lightest so for traveling there might be better. However for that matter, I am not sure I would want to give up much that the Stiletto has to switch to a lighter travel BC.

I hear ya K-Dude...

There is a reason why most divers have more than one BCD/BC...we couldn't decide on JUST one either. :D

I CANT DECIDE LOL! Why can't they just make the Dimension 3 without the i3 system! Then all my problems would be solved :)
I own the Axiom I3. Bought it from B Jax new for $299, couldn't pass it up at that price despite all the negative reviews from those who never owned one and all the positive reviews from those who do. :sarcasm:

Only have 3 dives on it so far, so I cannot say too much about it, except that their wrapture system is infinitely more than just a marketing gimmick. My friend loves how it holds in place, better so than his Ranger (So much so that he is now going for a Dimension) The I3 takes a little getting used to, most annoying thing so far is leaning over and activating the lever against the rail or gunwales or something before getting wet, but it is always in the same spot. There is no fumbling for an inflator hose, no need to raise anything when I wish to descend.

Also forgot to add that having a place to tuck away nearly all the octo hose, the thru-pocket for spg hose, and the lack of a inflator hose, there is so much less hosing dangling everywhere, really makes any apprehension that a single 2" inflator/deflator lever at your left hip being some kind of tangle magnet a nonissue.

Last edited:
I have been diving the Dimension i3 for nearly 75 dives, and I love it. My main reason for buying it was the harness, I was using an AquaLung Pro LT jacket previously. I did not like the fit of the jacket and wanted a back inflate. I asked some instructors I knew about the i3, and they had thousands of dives on them without an issue. That was enough for me, and I ended up buying a used one with only a couple of dives on it for half price, I did get it checked out at my LDS and had a 40" HP hose put on my reg for extra clearance so I could put my backup computer on the upper left d-ring. I dive an air integrated Uwatec computer as a primary, so I needed the longer hose.
Would I buy another, no, but only because I would buy a BP/W setup instead. I do get mine serviced every year, and it has not had any issues. Keep in mind, I travel for all my diving so it gets thrown around a lot at airports.
I like the BC, I do recommend it to others who ask about it on dive boats, but the sticker price is very high for the BC. If your nervous about the i3, the Balance is a good alternative. The one issue with the i3 is you lose a pocket on the left side, but it made me stop carrying as much stuff around in pockets.

Good luck shopping!

I have the Axiom I3 and really enjoy it. Ex Navy diver that dives in PNW with dry suit most of the time. Super comfortable, easy to adjust air. Fits just as tight or loose as I want it for any given dive condition. Also can go from wet suit to drysuit, warm weather to cold and bunch of layers without having to adjust anything. Naysayers talk about bumping and loosing air, being a catching hazard, being complicated to explain, and more parts.

Bumping - Yep, once in a while I bump it and a little air goes in. Never a big deal. Like most divers, I don't keep my valve open until I am ready to don it, sure wouldn't keep it open if it was in a pile with a bunch of other gear. That is unsafe.

Catching hazard - I always find this funny because the more minimalist the BCD, the more stuff gets hung from it. Some divers look like Xmas trees because they have no place to put stuff. All vital stuff but it has to go somewhere. Talk about catching hazards. The regular inflator hose seems to me just as much a catching hazard, and it floats around. On the Axiom model I have, the right pocket can be dropped down and made into a large pocket. Very nice when I find something I want to collect. Not huge, but also no need to hang a bag for most dives. Backup light tucks into another pocket. Two danglees out of the way. That and dry suit pockets makes me much less of a catching hazard that the minimalists.

More complicated to explain- Yes it is different, but not hard. I put it in same category as dump weights. Not all work the same so you have to talk to your buddy and remember. On the I3, the discussion is easy. "here is the lever, up makes you go up, down makes you go down." Frankly in a rescue situation the I3 would be easier to manage bouyancy if necessary. I have been the rescue dummy during rescue classes, so know this from experience.

More parts - yes it does, which increases the risk of failure. Like others say, keep it clean and keep it serviced is important. Also like others say, failures happen with all BCDs. However, if I was travelling often to really remote places would this be my first choice? Maybe not. I usually use a travel BC that is really standard or would opt for a simple BP/Wing. And besides, the vast majority of locations do have rental BCDs in a pinch so you aren't going to loose your whole trip.

Regarding the last two, complicated and more parts, interesting that the I3 gets a rap, but rebreathers and side mounts are fine.

I personally love the i3. The more I use it, the better it gets. No issues with accidental air either inflating or deflating. I won't go back to an inflator hose. Just a preference for me. I say give it a try and see for yourself.

They make the Axiom without the"I3 maybe they'll make the Dimension without the I3 that would be nice. My four F's our fit, feel, function and familiarity with your BCD.

They make the Axiom without the"I3 maybe they'll make the Dimension without the I3 that would be nice. My four F's our fit, feel, function and familiarity with your BCD.

Well it doesn't really help me any right NOW, but I did reach out to Aqualung and they very vaguely hinted at the fact that it is actually in the works, but no time-frame at all was given. The question is do I just wait and hoe it comes out soon? Or just go with the very highly recommended Zeagle Stiletto?

DEMA is the first week of November. If there were going to be an announcement, that might possibly be when. Not that the announcement date is the actual ship date either in many cases. There's been products announced at DEMA that ship a year later - some vaporware that never ships. Although I doubt that's the case with Aqualung since all they really have to do is rework the missing left pocket and the inflator mounting, their flat valves are already used on some of their other products.

I got rid of my Dimension I3. Bulky, unstable and heavy! Good luck getting a fix should the valves break.

Newbie mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom