aqualung DIN problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadon44

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a buddy with an aqualung legend with a DIN connection, His model has the ACD(auto closure device) which is designed to seal the first stage from dirt/moisture once removed from the tank by means of a spring loaded mechanisim biult into the hand wheel retainer. the problem he is having is that once the din o ring connects with the sealing surface in the valve the actual spring loaded retainer starts to loosen on it's own threads causing a leak on the 1st stage side of the hand wheel, as long as he keeps the hand wheel retainer snug with an allen wrench (doing it quite often) the problem is temprarily solved,,,,so my question is this??? is this a common problem with the design? is it intended to have thread lock on this piece?(i wouldn't think so)....any help would be appriecated..... oh, and yes we have e-mailed aqualung and local dive shop and are awaiting a reply..........thanks all........cheers!!!!!

If you get a response please post it. I have the yoke style Legend ACD and have no problems with it. I bought it at the end of 2007 and have 146 dives on it with no failures or leaks yet.

Yes, please post any resolution. Is this a common problem? I've got two Legend LX ACD yokes that at some point I may convert to DIN with Aqualung part# 129227.

I've got a bunch of Apeks DS4+XTX50s that I use for the tech side that are all DIN. I got the Legend's for the ease of world wide service when we travel for warm water dive vacations.

I have never experienced this issue and this is the first time I have ever heard of it. I own several of them. Thread locker is not recommended however if used do not use the red. The use of blue or green would solve the issue and will not enter the first stage if used sparingly and at the lower end of the body.

I own the legend acd in din, ive never had anything like your situation come up, but i do know that it is a pain to take that all apart, that screw should not loosen at all, the screw should stay in place, the din pushes in and it opens to allow air in, that screw is actually where the opening is, the screw is long enough to thread and stay in place as the din is screwed in.

I've got a buddy with an aqualung legend with a DIN connection, His model has the ACD(auto closure device) which is designed to seal the first stage from dirt/moisture once removed from the tank by means of a spring loaded mechanisim biult into the hand wheel retainer. the problem he is having is that once the din o ring connects with the sealing surface in the valve the actual spring loaded retainer starts to loosen on it's own threads causing a leak on the 1st stage side of the hand wheel, as long as he keeps the hand wheel retainer snug with an allen wrench (doing it quite often) the problem is temprarily solved,,,,so my question is this??? is this a common problem with the design? is it intended to have thread lock on this piece?(i wouldn't think so)....any help would be appriecated..... oh, and yes we have e-mailed aqualung and local dive shop and are awaiting a reply..........thanks all........cheers!!!!!

It sounds as if the base of the DIN shaft is not properly locked down. This should be done by an Aqualung dealer or a qualified technician. How it gets lose is simple. If the regulator is pressurized and the 1st stage is twisted or banged it could loosen up. (this is common on ALL din regs.) while he is tightening the little allen cap at the back that only solves it for a short time. The lock down key is behind the ACD mechanism. It takes all of 30 seconds to fix this. Bring it to your local Aqualung dealer and they can do it.

cheers

JDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom