AQUALUNG HydroFlex 3mm Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ross19966

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at this suit for tropical use and as usual, I'm right in between a 2X and 3X in the chest, belly and hips. If I go 3X, their assumption is that I must be 7' tall so the inseam will be too long. If I go 2X the inseam will be OK but everything else might be tight. Any experience with these suits? Do they run small, large or true to size? There is a stocking distributor 2.5 hours away. Thinking about a road trip.

Thanks

Try a suit from Aqualung with a different cut or go with a brand that fits you better.

It would seem that you have been scoping out internet/mail order purchases for gear....that is great if you specifically know the gear will fit....but you don't.

Your profile states you are from Delaware. Go visit a shop somewhere in your general region and get properly fitted for a suit....it will pay dividends in the long run with you being comfortable and happy with your purchase.

-Z

That's the problem. There are no real local options. Shops don't want to order 3 or 4 suits so I can try them and buy one and they don't want to keep a lot of inventory on hand. From the size charts, Aqualung seems to be the closest, but that depends how the sizing runs. There is a shop 2.5 hours away that has some inventory, so I may take a road trip next week. Diving around here is strictly drysuit. The 3mm I'm hunting right now is for a trip to the Keys next month.

I thought about going the custom route, but $600+ for a suit that I'll only use a couple times a year on vacation doesn't make sense.

The Henderson HQ and warehouse/factory is not far away. I called to see if I could just come over and try some suits in different sizes, then order from a distributor. They were having none of that. The closest dealer that they said stocked any amount of inventory was Scuba.com in NYC.

Aqualung seems to be the closest, but that depends how the sizing runs
They are a good suit, I have one, but, and it's a big but [not as in arse] , just knew it would not fit 'off the rack', the arms and chest sizes are made for pencil neck, skinny arm folk [insert people type here] , once I had it made to fit by a local wetsuit guy [extra $$, which I allowed for], arms and chest bigger with a few inserts, it is now a great wetsuit for warm water.
My 2 bubbles.

The fit on most 3X suits is not perfect but acceptable (for the limited use it would get), other than the inseam. I suppose cutting a few inches off the legs and sealing the seam with aquaseal wouldn't be a big deal. My thought with the Aqualung was that the ultra stretch material would make up for any areas that are a little tight. Pretty clear that I'm going to have to make a road trip and try a few on.

Aqualung suits never fit me as the forearms and wrists are always too tight. I find Xcel's online sizing chart is pretty accurate and their suits are really nice. I've been diving them for about 15 years.

I think Henderson and bare suits are better than other brands at stretching and conforming to bigger guys and gals who aren’t tri-athletes or shaped like stick people.

It's great to support your local diveshop, but Scuba.com is great for trying on stuff and free returns. And it is also a local diveshop for a bunch of people if that makes you feel better.

That said, a road trip for wetsuit shopping sounds pretty fun, and you should probably do it.

Scuba.com has been a nightmare on returns/exchanges. They took 3 weeks to exchange a hood. The exchanged one didn't fit either but its easier to cut and modify it than continue trying new hoods. I'm still waiting on a refund for wetsuit returned a month ago. Never again will I order anything wearable for them. For everything else, they are great.

Blew out my back again anyway, so might be out of action for a little while with another surgery. I will have to dive vicariously through you guys.

Back
Top Bottom