Aqualung Leg3nd MBS or Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's just personal preference

Of course it is personal preference, for me it is based on almost 50 years of diving all over the world, owning a dive center selling all of the above mentioned brands, servicing all of these brands and being the "go to" service center in my area, diving testing and comparing what I sell and recommend.

Calling a specced piston first a Rolls Royce is a stretch, but to each their own.
You hate Atomic, don't you? BUT, each to his own preference and prejudices.

The 'Toyota' will take you anywhere you want and keep working.
So would Lada, Toyoauto, etc. But never like a Rolls Royce or Mercedes, certainly not the safety, luxury, reliability, longevity, etc. (The analogy with cars does have its limitation I agree)

Calling an atomic more reliable than an aqualung is pure marketing.
I would never think of not servicing my AL regulator for more than 2 - 3 years but the Atomic would perform like new even after 5 years. My ST1 went through 5 - 7 years (I can't remember exactly) in between servicing and it was performing like new. My B2 around the same time and works like new too. The AL won't last that long if you use it like I use my Atomic regulators, not even close. I see it with the ones I own, few of them.

i'd like to see some real evidence then.

What better evidence than years, decades, of experience using both?

The turret is also an extra failure Point
Is this why most of tech. divers use them???

Service is alot easier for the AL since you don't have to worry about the Christolube gunk.
Servicing Atomic is very easy and straight forward to me, the Christolube is no issue at all if you are trained properly, using the proper tool and know what you are doing. All and all, you should be trained properly, using the proper tools and know what you are doing for all regulators anyways. If you can't figure out how to use tool for the Christolube, you should be working on regulators, any regulator!!!

It's pretty clear you don't like aqualung
I never said that or actually believe that at all, in fact, I believe that AL regulators are fine regulators and will be rated no. 4 in my list; 1 Atomic, 2 Scubapro (close second), 3 Apeks (distant 3rd) and 4 AL (very distant 4th). If you want to know what I DO NOT LIKE, it is Mares and Cressi but AL I like.

don't pretend Atomic is making a revolutionary product
There are no "revolutionary" regulator products out there, just better evolution of some over the others.

What am I missing here except the durability on the lp seat material and seat Saver?

These are BIG features and difference just by themselves but you are forgetting the material Atomic uses in their regulator components in the first and second stages.

They are making a solid product and so is AL.
They sure are, way ahead of Cressi and Mares for certain.

Safe, happy, enjoyable and awesome diving to all!

If it matters to you, I believe you will find broader availability for service around the world with Aqualung compared to Atomic. That may not be an issue where you currently plan on diving, but could be if you venture to other locals. I have seen Aqualung associated shops across western Europe, North Africa, and Asia. Atomic seems to have a much smaller network of dealers and service centers.

-Z

My sincerest thanks to everyone for their excellent feedback on this!

I ended up picking up an Atomic B2 today. Can't wait for next weekend's Channel Islands trip to try it out :)

Thank you all again!
Congratulations on your new regs!

My sincerest thanks to everyone for their excellent feedback on this!

I ended up picking up an Atomic B2 today. Can't wait for next weekend's Channel Islands trip to try it out :)

Thank you all again!

Congratulations and I wish you many decades of happy, safe, enjoyable and awesome diving!!

Interesting convo. I have experienced the “UV rot” more often with Atomic (I have a very early B1) but it isn’t just UV. I had a brand new spare purge cover (yellow for octo) crumble in it’s bag, sitting in a box. Purge covers, knobs, and rings, wherever there is color, you might get rot, but this isn’t a big deal and the performance is very nice. (And maybe the newest ones have been fixed?)

Interesting convo. I have experienced the “UV rot” more often with Atomic (I have a very early B1) but it isn’t just UV. I had a brand new spare purge cover (yellow for octo) crumble in it’s bag, sitting in a box. Purge covers, knobs, and rings, wherever there is color, you might get rot, but this isn’t a big deal and the performance is very nice. (And maybe the newest ones have been fixed?)

I have had my ST1 (with two ST1 second stages) since circa 2012 in the Middle East and Libyan oppressive heat without any issues at all. Same for my B2. I have others without issues at all but not used as much as the ST1 and B2.

I believe you..... I think "constant use" is actually probably better for avoiding this issue than "constant storage." Clearly that's my fault--and my misfortune. I see the same thing in lots of plastic products that are meant to be "handled" actually.... First they go "tacky," then they start to disintegrate. Maybe constant use interferes with whatever the cycle is there. (Someone here is probably a polymer engineer and knows exactly what the mechanism are).

Plus, mine is a "circa 1996," so the formulas have changed, I'm sure. Although the one replacement I've had that went too was circa 2003. I've seen pics of divers where this process is happening, as the covers/knobs have changed color. Mine was originally the silver-ish color (this is when the entire purge was one color, not the "insert style" they use now), with matching silver inserts on the Venturi knob. Those will turn a Champagne color before they go. You'll see pics of them that way from time to time.

I'm going to go pull mine out of the Pelican box and see what it looks like now.....just for arguments' sake (although I'm not arguing....)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom