Aqualung Legend ACD Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rock2r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings, this being my first post to the board and all.

I purchased an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme off e-bay a couple years ago. The unit is gangbusters; however, it does not appear to be ACD. 1) When did ACD come into play on the Legend series...and 2) Can it be converted to ACD at the next LDS service by simply installing "magic widgets" from a kit, or are the ACD versions casted as totally different animals?

Thanks in advance.

Yes... you can upgrade any non ACD to ACD by simply putting the correct parts in it.

I think Phil Ellis even listed the parts once.... I'll go see if I can find the thread.

don't think it's worst the cost though (parts + labor) in my opinion.

EDIT: found it. see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/138263-aqualung-acd-retrofit.html

Copying the parts list into this thread for others use

You would need the following parts to do this retrofit..........

Yoke Retainer PN 129212..............$18.00
Spring PN 129204.......................$2.00
O-Ring PN 820009.......................$2.00
O-Ring PN 820321.......................$1.00
Yoke Crown PN 129205................$15.00
Yoke Valve PN 129207.................$20.00

This retro-fit would take about 15 minutes to complete. There would be no reason for Aqua Lung to install this stuff as a retro-fit at your next annual service. The Legend without the ACD is not a product failure. This is simply a product/model upgrade. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks a bunch Mike. I'll give it a look.

I have to second Mike the penguin here. You could make it ACD, but why? If you just take care of your gear then there is a zero percent chance that you will get water in the first stage. If it makes you feel better, I have rebuilt regs from the 60's and they look great inside as long as you use the dust cap.

ACD is a nice feature on a DIN reg when you are switching tanks between boat dives, especially if the boat is pitching, the captain is motoring, and it is windy, so salt spray is going everywhere.

ACD is a nice feature on a DIN reg when you are switching tanks between boat dives, especially if the boat is pitching, the captain is motoring, and it is windy, so salt spray is going everywhere.

have you ever had a problem from a non ACD reg in those conditions you noted?

because I've never seen anyone else say that ruined their reg either..

Yeah it's a nice feature.... but not having it is not going to "ruin your reg".

To upgrade, $60 in parts, plus most likely another $40 to $60 in labor... I don't see it being worth it if you know how to take care of your gear in the first place.

Personally, no...but it is a 'nice to have' when there is a lot of water in the air and you want to be anal about not getting salt water in the reg without having to screw on the cap before switching tanks.

Nice to have - yes, necessary, absolutely not.

When I posted the question I neglected to mention that my Legend is DIN and I've come close to spraying rinse water in the first stage after removing my DIN-Yoke adaptor while the large DIN protection cover was just swinging loose on the string!

Makes sense though...just take care of 'em and they should last. I will hold off on the $80 buck ACD upgrade.

Happen to know if the current Legend Octo's are ACD?

When I posted the question I neglected to mention that my Legend is DIN and I've come close to spraying rinse water in the first stage after removing my DIN-Yoke adaptor while the large DIN protection cover was just swinging loose on the string!

Makes sense though...just take care of 'em and they should last. I will hold off on the $80 buck ACD upgrade.

Mine is DIN and I didn't convert it. In fact the dealer I bought it from was getting ACD in stock and I could have waited for it, but chose not to due to the great deal I got.

If it's a day boat where I'm just swapping tanks, I don't use the dust cap. I just swap them out.

On Liveaboards, I use the dust cap because I leave the first stage off the tank for them to refill. while this offers some protection, I do this more because I've had the DIN o-ring fall out several times and you have to go crawling under the bench to find the dang thing while everyone else is trying to gear up next to you. just a pain in the butt...

Happen to know if the current Legend Octo's are ACD?

Octo's are just that...... you buy them as a 2nd stage and a hose.

the ACD is purely in the first stage, which is typically bought with with your main reg. (first stage and primary 2nd stage.)

so the answer is no.... none of the Legend Octo's are ACD... but then again. No Octo's are ACD, so it doesn't matter.

Also, the ACD will be in the open position any time you have a yoke adapter on it so in that case it is useless.

Back
Top Bottom