Aqualung Legend ACD Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO the ACD (or similar devices) will only give you a false sense of security.

I have inspected both the Aqua Lung ACD and the Oceanic (I forget what they call theirs) and neither seem water tight enough to be anything but a light splash protection. If you soak them without a water tight dust cap I believe they have a large chance of leaking.

What is even more concerning is that the exposed connection area of the ACD can and will get wet. If the user doesn’t carefully clean that connection then the water in the connection will be pushed into the regulator when it is connected to a tank. This basically defeats any advantage in a rocking boat with salt spray all over.

A diver really needs to be just as careful in a high salt spray environment whether your regulator has an ACD or not. Both sides of the connection (the regulator and the tank valve) need to clean and free of salt spray or any water droplets will be pushed into the regulator.

In a high salt spray situation (or blowing sand, etc.) I much rather have a yoke connection that a DIN. The yoke goes on much quicker and it doesn’t have all the threads collecting salt water or sand.

Last edited:
I purchased an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme off e-bay a couple years ago. The unit is gangbusters; however, it does not appear to be ACD. 1) When did ACD come into play on the Legend series...and 2) Can it be converted to ACD at the next LDS service by simply installing "magic widgets" from a kit, or are the ACD versions casted as totally different animals?

The ACD is a good idea, but its efficiency of operation is questionable. Regardless of the features it "promises," you should dry the reg and dust cap, ensure that the dust cap O-ring is clean and dry and keep it on the first-stage when it's not in-use. Look after the reg properly and it will look after you. No short-cuts.

The ACD and DVT (Oceanic) are to me gimmicks that add $100 to the reg and are geared towards the careless. Also if you drop the reg in a good sized rinse tank chances are that unless it's new and the spring is good it may not keep the water out anyway. Spray it with a hose and I can damn near guarantee that it will let water in. It is designed to keep out only water under extremely low pressure. 4-6 feet of water is likely enough to exert enough pressure to open it. I've worked on them, am authorized to service em, and any reg I would buy that had them would soon have them removed. The Oceanics are not available in DIN to my knowledge with the DVT and doubt they will be. DIN regs are often used by tech divers. It would be viewed as another failure point.

Expanding upon Jim's post, while I'm sure a minimal amount of fresh (or brackish) rinse water getting inside the first stage without ACD "protection" is not ideal, is it harmful...assuming you catch it and blow the ports out with air immediatly afterwards?

I guess what I'm getting at here is: when on vacation and water gets in the first stage, what's the "get by" fix until you can get your reg apart (in my case, by a tech) upon returning home?

Forgive my earlier question about the Octo / ACD...uh..it was the Nyquil talking!

Last edited:
Remove the spg or HP hose put a plug in. Put the reg on a tank and slowly crack the valve. Purge the 2nd stages until they show no signs of water being blown out of them. I would also hook up the lp hose to a blowgun or even air chuck. You could use a bc but I always have a blowgun anyway in my reg bag. Then after this is done put the HP hose back on without the spg. SLOWLY crack the valve a few times keeping a FIRM hold on the hose. Reinstall the SPG. Have it checked when you get home. Fresh or saltwater does not matter. Even fresh water has minerals ( in smaller quantities of course) that can dry and corrode the internals if left go too long.

The unit is gangbusters;

Pardon my ignorance, but what on Earth does that mean?

It means that it brings a smile to my face when using it...coupled with the fact I got it on a smoking deal on E-bay and it actually checked out and works just fine. A huge step up for me from the rental fleet I had been using.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom