Aqualung Lotus or Scubapro Womens Hydros Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yellowfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to decide between these two BCDs.
Any women divers out there have any feedback about either of these?

Well, since nobody has much to say....

I'm not a woman and I don't have any direct experience with the Lotus. I do have a Hydros Pro that I've had in the pool 3 times now. Prior to the Hydros, I only ever dived a back plate and wing rig.

I really like the Hydros. It has replaced my BP/W as my default single tank BCD.

Looking at the Lotus online, I note these things:

- The Hydros is almost 100% monoprene, which means it dries almost instantly.
- The Hydros comes with 2 waist belts. One has the weight pockets that you see in all the pictures. The other is just webbing and they call it the "travel waist belt". The back of the wing has 2 trim weight pockets. So, if you're diving somewhere warm and don't need much weight, you might not need the big, bulky waist belt with the weight pockets on it.
- The Hydros waist weight pockets do not release just by pulling on them, like the Lotus weight pockets do. To drop a Hydros weight pocket, you have to squeeze the sides of the QR buckle to release it, then you can easily pull the pocket out.
- The design of the Hydros waist weight pockets does make it really easy to put them in and out, even while in the water. The monoprene "housing" that the weight pocket slides into holds its shape, so it's easy to slide the actual weight pocket in without looking. And, once in, clicking the QR buckle together is also easy.
- The Hydros doesn't have any padding. The back plate that goes against your back, and most of the shoulder straps are made of monoprene. It's almost a gel feeling. It is kind of grippy and once I get mine on and cinch shoulders/chest/waist down, the monoprene keeps it from moving around at all. It's more stable than any BP/W rig I've used. The monoprene back plate also conforms to my back really well
- The Hydros does not have any pockets other than the actual weight pockets. But, they do sell a couple of add-on accessory pockets that you could put on. I am used to diving a BP/W, which means I am already used to not having pockets. I use bolt-snaps to clip my camera, lights, SMB, and reels to my BCD. The Hydros with the travel waist belt has all the D-rings I need in order to do the same as what I have been doing on my BP/W. I haven't figured out what I will do for things I normally clip to my waist if I were diving with the weight pocket waist belt. But, I suspect I just won't be diving this rig with the weight pocket waist belt outside of when I'm teaching an OW class. So, it won't be an issue. The waist weight pockets do have D-rings on the bottom, so I might just use those for my SMB/reel, if I dive with that waist belt on the rig.
- They Hydros is neutral in the water. In my 3mm full wetsuit and fresh water, I can dive a steel tank with no weights at all. With an AL80, I need 4 - 6 #. In salt water, I will need a little more. But, I think I will be able to put all the weight I need in the trim weight pockets on the back. Definitely, if I am diving a steel tank, which is my norm.
- They Hydros has a hole in the shoulder strap buckle area that is specifically for attaching an octo keeper. I use one of the $1.50 silicone ones in that spot and it works perfectly for holding my octo.
- The Lotus appears to be designed specifically for a woman's body. I know that the Hydros also has women's sizes with shoulder straps that were designed and molded specifically to fit a woman's body shape.
- They Hydros is modular. If you break a part, you can disassemble the BCD and replace just that part, instead of having to replace the whole thing.
- I think the Hydros' monoprene is likely to hold up better to chlorine, salt, and UV. But, that is just my under-educated speculative opinion.

All that said, the Hydros is stupid expensive. I have mine because I work for a shop and needed a BCD that I can teach in, that matches what our students use as far as features go. I.e. QR weight pockets, sternum strap, etc.. Working for the shop, I got it at a big discount. No way I would personally pay full retail for one. But, then, I wouldn't pay full retail for a Lotus or any other "normal" BCD. If I were paying retail, I would spend less and buy a BP/W. So, take my comments for what they're worth.

The Lotus has conventional tug-and-release weight pockets. Maybe you prefer that. OTOH, you can't take them off and dive with just a webbing belt. I consider that a disadvantage, but you may not. With the travel waist belt, the Hydros gives the diver a very "clean", uncluttered, and streamlined front and sides.

The Lotus looks like it has padding, particularly where it will be against your back. I would expect that to make it a bit floaty, thus requiring the diver to wear more lead. I would also consider that a disadvantage.

The Lotus has utility pockets built in. You might really prefer that.

And, of course, the Lotus costs a lot less. But, which one is "worth it" is a personal decision that only you can make.

I hope this helps somewhat with your decision.

Are you looking at the regular Lotus or with the i3 inflator?
I dove the Lotus i3 for two years. It fit me a lot better than the unisex BCDs I got certified in as I have a narrow waist but am tall.

Things I liked:
- Being able to put weight on the cam bands helped with my trim
- You can put up to 30lb on the small size, which is great for cold water
- The i3 inflator was nice when I was learning because you can dump from any position (see the next part though...)
- The BC is well made and has a good number of adjustment points
- The Aqualung cam band is really nice. Easy on the fingers, nice grippy surface on the tank.

Things I did not like:
- There is only one pocket, with a flap and then a little zippered pocket on the flap. I kept my SMB in the pocket and nothing else would fit.
- Since the i3 system is more complicated, I had the BCD serviced every year, which gets expensive and annoying.
- You can't actually dump from any position with the i3 system as both the upper and lower dump valves are on the right side of the wing. I would have to roll to the left to vent my drysuit, then roll to the right to vent the BC. Before I figured out that I needed to do this I kept getting air trapped in the wing at the end of the dive. I would not have had this problem with a regular BC because it's really obvious where the venting happens.
- I had to explain how the i3 inflator worked to new buddies and had little confidence in a rescuer being able to figure it out in an emergency.
- It is really easy to bump the inflator lever on the boat bench, catch it with line, or boop it with your hand trying to look at your SPG.

Most of my opinions are about the i3 system rather than the BCD itself but I hope this helps.
I switched to a steel BP/W (I know, scubaboard stereotype) and a drysuit with leg pockets. I did like the Aqualung cam band so much that I put 2 of them on.

Good point about the tank strap.

I think (but not sure) that the Aqualung quick release tank strap works very much like the ScubaPro one (which the Hydros has). I also prefer that style over a traditional cam band and I have fitted the ScubaPro-style quick release tank straps on my single tank BP/W as well. They are only $15 each from Dive Gear Express!

The Hydros has just the one tank strap, with no secondary strap of any kind. The cradle that the tank rests in is well-dished and has 4 small grippy pads at the corners to help hold the tank. I have not had any slippage at all, but I admit that I have only used mine with a galvanized steel tank and, very briefly, a painted AL80.

My only strong personal feelings are that I am not a fan of Aqua Lung's integrated weight system. I have assisted with many classes and have seen others on trips with me that have accidentally lost these because they come out way too easily without them tugging. They also do not easily snap in in general but more so when a lot of weight is in it or the weight itself will cause it to come undone. I believe part of it to be a design issue because the locking mechanism is deep within the pocket so it's difficult to ensure that it's in place and can easily be undone with a slight tug (or not!). I'd rather have something that takes a very purposeful motion to be removed rather than something that will come out unexpectedly on accident. I've seen it one too many times to be able to recommend it to people.

Wear and try both before you decide. Other BCs with integrated weights, such as Scubapro, have a much better design with a large male and female clip. Inserting and removing weights are a very purposeful event and I have not experienced or witnessed someone losing their weights or pockets because of this. There is a visual and very audible confirmation that it is secure when put in place. The same goes for removal.

I would also suggest not purchasing the i3 inflation system, though convenient, due to serviceability. It's best to go with something that can easily be repaired when you are away from your home dive shop or while traveling. A traditional inflator hose....

Go try a few on, see what fits you best, and then step back and decide. If you end up loving an Aqua Lung i3 integrated weight BC the best, so be it..!

My wife has a lotus. She does not post on SB so I will fill in for her. She likes it and finds it very comfortable. It is the i3 model and while that gets a bad rap on SB, it has worked well and she likes it. It does actually deflate quicker and in pretty much any position, so no moving around and waiving the inflator hose around to deflate. Only one pocket, as mentioned above, but it can be used as a small pocket or it unfolds to a larger one. It is easy to attach another small pocket to the waist strap if needed. There is a recommendation that it be serviced every year or so and maybe that makes it not worth fooling with. A personal decision.

I am much more of a gear person and try different equipment whenever I can get away with it, (guys and their toys, you know?) but she has turned down every opportunity to try other BCs. In fact, when she lost quite a bit of weight and needed a new BC, she got another Lotus. By the way, if you go that route, we should sell her earlier one. Let me know if interested.

I recently got a Hydros. Have only gotten in a pool so far, but it seems nice. I will give it a good workout in a few weeks. I have read about some issues with the monoprene ripping in certain areas, but if true, I suspect it is a temporary problem. It is the same materiel as the Nova fins and the first generation had some breakage problems, but the ones I dive with have been fine for about 5 years. By the way, Aqualung has their "wrapture" system on the Lotus and although it sounds a little gimmicky, it really does move the tank weight off the shoulders and is especially nice for shore dives. Despite getting the Hydros, I have kept my AL Dimension and will probably use it for shore dives for that reason.

We only dive warm water, so if you dive locally in Oregon there may be other factors I am not aware of. You are looking at two excellent BCs. If possible see if you can try them both in a pool. I wish you were closer to me, I could let you try our stuff.

If you want to PM me with any questions, or any questions to relay to my wife, please do so.

Thank you all for taking the time to write these replies.
We only dive warm water...after check out dives years ago in Puget Sound. Never again.

Anyway, I tried on both of these in the shop over street clothes, just to get an initial feel.

In just that short try, the ScubaPro Hydros felt like it fit me a little better...my shape and size..but it was really not a real test. The people at the shop raved about the i3 but said both were good choices.

And the lack of pockets is a concern for me....but I think the ScubaPro Hydros is pocket limited too, isn't it?

I was concerned about the lever on the AquaLung Lotus i3. It seems a good idea, but maybe one I would catch on things?
And while diving for a couple of weeks in Bonaire recently in rental BC's (neither model discussed here, but Velcro only integrated weight packets)..both of us lost weights..my husband during a dive and me as I banged into the boat ladder getting out.

So are you saying the ScubaPro is LESS likely to do that?

Since for all these years we have rented jacket style BC's, has anyone had an issue with back inflation at the surface? Pushing someone face downwards?

I will for sure be able to get in the dive shop pool with the i3, not sure about the Hydros.
Need to make a decision as a big trip to Indonesia is coming.

Any other feedback or answers to these questions, please share! Thank you all so much.

And while diving for a couple of weeks in Bonaire recently in rental BC's (neither model discussed here, but Velcro only integrated weight packets)..both of us lost weights..my husband during a dive and me as I banged into the boat ladder getting out.

So are you saying the ScubaPro is LESS likely to do that?

Since for all these years we have rented jacket style BC's, has anyone had an issue with back inflation at the surface? Pushing someone face downwards?

I will for sure be able to get in the dive shop pool with the i3, not sure about the Hydros.
Need to make a decision as a big trip to Indonesia is coming.

Any other feedback or answers to these questions, please share! Thank you all so much.

I have had a Scubapro BC for more than 100 dives and I know a few people with the Hydros Pro. The only way you are going to lose those weights on accident is if you never secured the male and female clips to begin with, you broke the buckle, or you cut the nylon strap that connects to the clips. It is very purposeful...You should not be able to lose it on accident as you would with the AL.

As for back inflation at the surface, do not inflate it as much as you would a jacket BC. Inflate it just enough so that your head is above the water. This will generally have you a little lower in the water than most people are used to in a jacket, but it will not push your face forward if you do this. You can even lean back and lazy boy it. :) For me, the only time that I felt I was being pushed face forward was when I first got the back inflate and I inflated it full like a jacket BC which is what I used to use in rental fleets before I got my own gear. Once I inflated it less, I have not had a problem since.

Before you go to Indo, whatever you end up with, make sure you try it out in a pool (as you've mentioned) or some form of water before you get to Indonesia. I know some people that have purchased BCs and they felt fine on land but as soon as they got in the water, the BC was a nightmare to work with. In one extreme case, the person couldn't stop turtling and flipping on their back, no matter what they did with weights...Moving in and out of integrated weights, to the hips, to the tank, to the non-ditchable trim pockets.....What a nightmare and a way to ruin a trip!

Oh geez!
Well, my local dive shop told me they would get me in the pool and help me set up my weights for trim with whichever BC I chose.
From this feedback I will head back there thinking the Hydros might be it.

yellowfish:

The hydros does not come with any pockets, but you can buy and attach two pockets to it. SP makes two sizes of pockets, a "ninja" pocket and a larger pocket. As with any BC, you can also thread an accessory pocket on to the waist belt if you want to. The Lotus has the one pocket but you could add another if you needed. A lot things you might think need a pocket can also be clipped to a BC.

I think the SP weight pockets are more secure that the Aqualung, but that said, neither my wife nor I have ever had an AL pocket fall out. They need to be firmly "clicked" into place, but then they stay. I have read posts where people have talked about the pockets falling out, but I suspect these were user error. If the BC otherwise suits you, I would not worry about it too much. If it is a major concern, then yes, the design of the SP is more secure...unless you don't latch it right, in which case the weights can fall out. Either BC should be fine if used properly and the weight pocket designs on each have been used for years by the respective companies. You also need to not exceed the rated weight for a given weight pocket.

Rental BCs are typically low-end models, often not well fitted to you and sometimes quite well-worn. It is hard to compare them to anything. You won't find many ops renting high end scubapro or aqualung BCs.

A back inflate generally only causes any "pushing" issues at the surface if you are over weighted and/or the BC over-inflated. I am sure they are less "comfortable" at the surface than the wrap around type, but I am more concerned how they perform on the dive. I think sometimes when you read about the pushing forward issue, it is because some people try to use the BC like like a fishing float tube and get much of their torso out of the water on the surface. That doesn't work so well.

I like the I3 and have never had any problem with it getting caught on anything. It is the subject of a few "you are going to die" posts here on SB, but that is true of anything new. Really, the lever only protrudes about an inch, if that much. If it were to be accidentally activated on the boat it would not be much of an issue anyway. Un-snag it and inflate or deflate. The advantages to the i3 is that it is better at deflating the BC in a variety of positions while diving, unclutters your front , and frankly, if you had to disconnect the inflator hose, I think it would be easier. I like it because I usually have this huge dive camera housing tethered to my shoulder D ring, and less "stuff" hanging off my chest is nice. AL claims some other benefits and you can look at what they say. You can also get the Lotus without the i3 if it is a concern. I think that understanding how to respond to an equipment failure while remaining calm, and regardless of the particular equipment used, is the key to safety. With the i3 it may, however, be more important to have the BC serviced annually than it would other types.

Comfort should best be judged in a wetsuit (assuming you usually use one) and with a tank on. Preferably with the opportunity to get in a pool and move around and get in different positions. The Lotus will be more comfortable on land when loaded. If you do a lot of shore diving with decent walks to the water, that could be important, especially if you have any strength, age or medical issues.

Try hard to get a chance to dive them both in a pool. Make sure you get the right size. Some shops want to sell what is in stock, and may not be quite as, um, forthright (?) on sizing as they should be.

These might help a bit:

BC Aqua Lung Lotus i3
Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Gear Review | Diving Adelaide
REVIEW: SCUBAPRO HYDROS PRO - DIVE Magazine
Product Review: Aqualung Lotus i3 BCD

Back
Top Bottom